Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ELK in Iowa????

F

flatlander

what is the regulations for elk in Iowa.
I see one was shot near Clear Lake,by the state.
Checking for cdw etc. i quess

what happens if one gets shot by a deer hunter ,should they turn it into state to check for cdw? OR are they in trouble for shooting elk with no season?

Alot of farmers around the Madison County area have said they have seen a 4x4 elk in with some cattle south of Winterset. I havent heard much on it for about a week but it was some hot coffee talk up at the local restaurant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RIDGERUNNERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They would be fined for shooting an elk in Iowa. </div></div>

Perhaps not...

A nearby farmer called the CO when a 6x6 was standing in his field and he said to go ahead and shoot it.

Just call before you pull the trigger... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Well dbltree I stand corrected, One was shot on monday by Hinton,Ia and the CO said the guy was honest called them told them the mistake, no fine issued. They also said that they would only give the ok to shoot if it was a danger to livestock, or people. The one shot monday was a small 5x5. So where are all these Elk coming from this year?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RIDGERUNNERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well dbltree I stand corrected, One was shot on monday by Hinton,Ia and the CO said the guy was honest called them told them the mistake, no fine issued. They also said that they would only give the ok to shoot if it was a danger to livestock, or people. The one shot monday was a small 5x5. So where are all these Elk coming from this year?</div></div>

Thats a good question.. How bout where did the bears come from this summer??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So where are all these Elk coming from this year? </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How bout where did the bears come from this summer?? </div></div>

I bet the DNR is releasing them! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

black helicopters....
same ones they use to drop in the cougars

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck,eyehunter16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plenty of Elk farms around Iowa to escape from. </div></div>

Very true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you "mistake" an elk for a deer?? </div></div>

Have you tasted elk? I could easily make the mistake if one walked in front of me! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

They are tasty when they're from Colorado. I can't imagine how good they'd be if they were Iowa-corn-fed beasties.

My mouth is watering....

iowaPete

Here are pics of a 5x5 that was shot a couple weeks ago in SE Iowa. I'm surprised they didn't surface on here before now. The kid that shot it got a call from his dad who was combining and told him there was a bull elk in their field....the kid called the CO, the CO said if he had a shot, take it, they had been trying to find the bull and another elk for some time but couldn't track them down but knew they were out there. Nobody with penned elk would claim them, so the they were roaming around. The kid pounded it with a 270....the CO came and it was all legit and let him keep it. The kid then took the whole thing to his local taxidermist and in exchange for half the meat, the taxidermist is doing a free shoulder mount on it!!! How about that! This is no rumor, my buddy works for the DNR with the dude on the left.

Iowa_Elk.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buck160</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alot of farmers around the Madison County area have said they have seen a 4x4 elk in with some cattle south of Winterset. I havent heard much on it for about a week but it was some hot coffee talk up at the local restaurant. </div></div>

I haven't seen him running with cattle but he is a 4x5 and he's been seen from my stands on 4 occassions and I have over 150 trail cam pics of him. All I can say is that he loves rye grain and chicory and fertilizes those plots for me quite well. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif This past weekend while hunting I came across some of his stomping grounds where he tore up over 30 trees 6 feet up. He's been roaming more lately and isn't visiting my property on a nightly basis anymore. As of this past friday night he was still alive as I found fresh track saturday morning. Myself and a few others are chomping at the bit to find his sheds this winter.

The DNR and USDA know about him and have contacted me but I just choose to say I don't know what they're talking about. The local CO has told me that anyone who is caught shooting it will be fined and prosecuted to the fullest extent. He also wants to know if he's not been frequenting the area anymore.

As far as the guy who mistakingly shot one. He's an idiot! There is no way to mistake an elk as a deer. Not even close, those things are huge and either he is blind or just dumb I don't know which, but there should be non excuse for shooting one by mistake. Know what your aiming at before you pull the trigger!

Although if the CO gave me permission to shoot it, you can bet I'd be putting arrow in him and filling my freezer /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The one shot monday was a small 5x5. So where are all these Elk coming from this year? [/quote said:
That makes two i've heard of killed in Woodbury county this year!??
Where are they coming from? The other one was a 5x6.

I have ate some of the meat from the elk shot in se iowa and it is way better than the elk i had from wyoming a lot less sage taste.iowa elk is the ticket.

I saw one close to Martin's Access along the Little Sioux River in Cherokee county a few weeks ago. It was a cow, but still looked fairly large. She was in a corn field that was currently being harvested. I even turned around a couple times to look at her. She was about 150 yards off the road probably, but I couldn't tell if there was any tags in her ear or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is no rumor</div></div>

I posted pics earlier in the PMA, my wife is friends with his Mom and your right, it's not a rumor... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

This pic is before he shot it...that ain't Wyoming! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DoudsElk.jpg

About a month ago myself and a buddy was hunting on the edge of town in north west iowa and seen a mule deer doe. what is going on with all the big game heading into iowa

Top Bottom