Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Emotional attachment to a giant buck, I'm torn, Advice?

If your that emotionally attached, shoot him and look at him everyday on your wall.........J/K. Every kill is a personal decision of that hunter, plain and simple.

I doubt you would forget him even if he’s not on your wall!! Only you can decide on it! But! Congrats on the respect you show for a great animal no matter the outcome!!

Honestly man, I can't understand this mentality at all. I have an emotional attachment to my family, pets, friends, etc. and I wouldn't launch an arrow at any of them, but then again, HUNTING THEM isn't my passion. Deer hunting is. A 180 class buck presents a shot opportunity for me, I'm taking it. Even if it's a deer that I nursed back to health as a fawn, via months of feeding, physical therapy, and providing tender loving care, I'm harvesting that bruiser in a heartbeat. Zero pondering. Shwack! Done.

The ONLY way I'm not harvesting it is if a bigger one is also providing a shot opportunity at the same time.

Yep, That my friend, if u look close u can see his left G2 is split. (Hence I shot him in the right shoulder.) I think he s definitely 180. He s not fully formed in this picture, he adds to tine length.

I've never had an opportunity at a deer like that. And I've never had the opportunity to watch a deer for more than 2 years. So, based on that, and I'm comfortable with the shot, I'm shooting. But, if I am the least bit uncomfortable with the shot or distance, I'm passing. It would be a worse feeling to say "I knew it was too far" and have him wounded.

This is why hunters are the best conservationists.... they don’t ONLY think about the kill. They think about habitat, biology, respect for animals & many strive for a well balanced cared for herd and farm.

I think respect for the animal can mean a lot of things.... wanting to make ethical kill shots, letting “young & easy to kill deer get older and smarter, etc”. Kinda like the guys who don’t shoot two giant bucks who they find locked up in a fight- many guys would rather free them than shoot them. Not everyone but that attitude is prevelant among many hunters and a lot of land owners. I think this is a classic example (your thread here) of “respect for the animal”. I surely don’t think anything wrong with shooting him or not shooting him. Let’s be real here though - i give you massive credit for posting this and thinking about this. We all know (not knocking this or anyone's different position than yours) 99.9% of people would just “kill” and never ask this to themselves or others. Again, well done on your thought process and whatever you decide.

One side note where maybe some people might not understand the “emotional” part of this.... u own a farm or manage a farm or even have permission.... then there’s a deer that catches your attention at 2.5. Then 3.5, 4.5 And so on..... In a way u watched him grow his whole life and make your farm home. Feels safe on ur place, eats and beds there and u pick up sheds for years and get hundreds of pics &/or encounters with him. Watching a deer for years and years- I’ll admit - it’s bittersweet shooting them- I do, in a way, miss seeing some home bodies on farm that made my farm home. I shoot em, I do let some slide, but it’s a little bittersweet on the bucks u knew for many years finally never being there again. Hard to explain I guess.
One I let slide: 6.5- picture I took on my tv screen after filming him over and over.
ae2955e21c4a35b343cdded7040c06eb.jpg

Following year he was 7.5 & obviously we did meet up for the last time. Very happy & very rewarding but also “bittersweet”.
3907a3041da74a1db70cdc131eb94809.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the thoughts guys, he s just special to me. If he disappeared and never seen again, id be ok with it. Disappointed yes. But would still be ok. I've got pics of him for 3 years now, and his range keeps getting smaller, and he s been more visible, I think he s 6.5, he s got the gene pool to be 200 inch typical. So we'll see.

To be honest, I've been there myself. Even almost posted a pretty similar thread questioning what others would do (at least I don't think I posted it!). Had a buck show up in 2011 as at least a 4.5 yr old (I think), possibly older. Had pics thru last year. Last actual sighting was probably 2013. Closest encounter was 55 yds, out of my comfort zone. Never found his sheds from any year. He maxed out in 2012 or 2013. Tine length dropped each year from 2013. After seeing shorter tines in 2014, I started questioning myself if I should just let him walk, although the thought of a chance at him probably prevented me from hunting other bucks harder. In 2015 I really questioned, due to him living to be that old. 2016 was the same. Felt the connection the OP has here. Am I crazy? Maybe. Never got a chance to see what I'd do in the moment. Haven't seen him or got pics this year, so I'm guessing he's either moved on or "moved on". The last couple of years, his spot on the wall would have been from respect for his age and the history, more so than his rack. Best pic would go right below.

I think your going to kill him next year.. If he's made it through to this point no reason he wont be there next year. I have never seen a 180 inch personally hunting but to have a deer that could hit that 200 mark would be awesome .. Must of taken some will power not to shoot I don't know what I would do be hard to pass any deer for me over 160 most bucks I have killed 140's 150's I have a rule 5.5 years old I normally kill them and let the rack fall where it may..

Top Bottom