Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Encounters w/ mature whitetail...

Blackfoot

Hunting for a mature, trophy whitetail buck is a task that takes dedication, motivation, and quite a bit of luck. When you finally encounter a true giant, face to face, this becomes a defining moment in your hunting career, regardless if a shot oppurtunity was present. This past bow season I had the oppurtunity to witness a true monarch.

With a 6x6 typical frame rack, numerous scorable stickers on his bases, forked G-2’s that stood nearly 12 inches tall, good mass, and my personal favorite, a 5-6 inch droptine that lingered over his left eye… needless to say this buck had it all, and I was shacking uncontrolably. I had just started a short/violent rattling sequence… thrashing through the surrounding brush to give the “battle” a more realistic sound. Although I had this realism to my advantage, I was hunting on the ground in an area with small spindly trees, that would most certainly fall over if you were foolish enough to place a stand in one, and the deer coming toward me, often sensed there was something different in the area, because they were at a higher altitude when they approached me. I had spotted 2 140 class bucks present in timber shortly after I had stopped rattling. As the wider of the 2 bucks shortened the distance between us, the brute described above appeared from out of a small area abundant with large cedars. I then turned my focused to him, as he too got closer. He started to sniff the ground at about 40 yards, so I let out a quick grunt to try and lure him closer.

As some of us know all to well, mature whitetails are some of the wisest animals that roam the earth. He sensed something wasn’t quite right, took a step back, tightened up and dissappeared into an oblivious blur, and out of the timber he went. This was a truly magnificient moment and a truly magnificient buck!

Now that I’ve told you my story, lets hear some of yours! When and where did you witness the biggest buck you’ve ever had the pleasure to lay your eyes on? I know you guys have so really great stories, and I can’t wait to read them. Thanks
-Renegade Archer

About 3 years ago, I was bow hunting a freinds farm. I had got this new call from Drury brothers, a grunt snort wheeze. I was a morning hunt. I was in a river bottom. I could see the bluff above me. I looked up and the biggest buck I had ever seen on the hoof was walking slowly down the fence line. My guess is he would have scored well over 180.

I was shaking like a leaf, I hit that snortwheeze call one time. His distance from me was probably 150 yds. He stopped looked my direction and immeadiately jumped the fence and was headed directly towards me.

But as all wise mature bucks do he stopped at 50yds and circled down wind of me to check the air to be sure, and the air didn't smell right because I was there. He bolted and was gone.

That is one of my fondedest memories even though It wasn't successful, it was an awesome experience!

Top Bottom