Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

End HUSH?

Fishbonker

Life Member
The NRC's agenda for this Thursday's meeting includes a petition from a group called Lead Is Poison Coalition that is seeking to stop the HUSH program from accepting deer shot with lead slugs. Non-toxic and archery kills will still be accepted. I realize there are some deer hunters that would like to see the HUSH program go away for a variety of reasons, but hopefully not this one. If this becomes law I can't see any lockers accepting deer for HUSH regardless of method of take.

Here is a link to the DNR site that has the agenda.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/BoardsCommissions/NaturalResourceCommission.aspx

The agenda is a PDF and try as I might I couldn't figure out a direct link. The agenda is way down at the bottom of the page, click on 2014-01-23 NRC ai.pdf. The actual petition starts on page 22. The petition itself is an interesting read.

End hush.

End having a $1 added to tags.

I had hoped that the HUSH program would be good PR for hunters, never happened from what I've seen.

Last edited:
I'm on record as not a big HUSH fan but these are same people that want lead banned in fishing lures and tackle as well as all shot and bullets. I can't support them getting any traction at all.

i could get behind an ned to HUSH (leads to the overharvest of deer) but NOT for this reason. if they ban HUSH donations because of lead, that just sets a presedence to ban all lead ammo down the road, which, will lead to even higher ammo prices, and lead to more people getting out of hunting and shooting

How does the HUSH program lead to over harvest? I realize it makes it easy for people to shoot deer just for sport and not have to worry about processing. However, last I checked HUSH donations only made up 5% of the harvest, less than I expected. I'm not a big proponent of the hush program. I just find it hard to argue that it has a big effect on harvest totals.
As for the original topic. This is not the way to get rid of the program. Looks like another step towards the all out ban of lead in hunting and fishing.

How does the HUSH program lead to over harvest? I realize it makes it easy for people to shoot deer just for sport and not have to worry about processing. However, last I checked HUSH donations only made up 5% of the harvest, less than I expected. I'm not a big proponent of the hush program. I just find it hard to argue that it has a big effect on harvest totals.
As for the original topic. This is not the way to get rid of the program. Looks like another step towards the all out ban of lead in hunting and fishing.

I'm all for ending the HUSH program just not this way.

This was a money maker for lockers and personally know a locker that a couple years ago would shoot piles of deer and were making money doing it. The brother of the locker owner killed 60 some does a few winters ago. Before HUSH hunters killed what they were gonna eat.

Last edited:
THA$ had a guest on one of his shows that was pushing the anti-lead bullet agenda, though she was arguing from the raptor side. He encouraged hunters to move to copper rounds.

I blame Thomas.

If you stopped taking shotgun deer during HUSH you'd probably lose a significant enough portion of the donations to warrant stopping the program all together.

I have heard gossip that very little of the venison donated is ever actually consumed-that the recipients eventually discard it.I think its a feel-good waste of venison.Dont shoot it if you dont want it.

I have heard gossip that very little of the venison donated is ever actually consumed-that the recipients eventually discard it.I think its a feel-good waste of venison.Dont shoot it if you dont want it.

Exactly what I highlighted in bold

I know someone that shoots deer every year and does not eat a bit of it. Donates to HUSH. I say,,"If ya don't eat it,,don't shoot it:! Just my feeling and opinion.

I know someone that shoots deer every year and does not eat a bit of it. Donates to HUSH. I say,,"If ya don't eat it,,don't shoot it:! Just my feeling and opinion.

I keep two deer for myself a year and donate the rest.

I donate at least 1-4 deer to our Vension program in Indiana each year. I've also made this my sole type of donation method. Money can be used for anything when given, but this ensures proper use IMO. You have to look at the reasons people are donating.

The bad: Some are doing it just to pass time and kill because they are bored.

The good: Others do it because their land needs a reduction or because the landowners requests/requires they do so for hunting rights.

People have to understand that you can't paint a broad stroke about all properties. The deer population is down in Iowa as a whole. There are still areas of over population and acceptable levels.

I am honestly amazed at how many of you don't like the HUSH program. It helps a lot of people that can't afford meat. They have a spot in my town that opens with coolers and coolers full of meat and it is gone within hours every week during hunting seasons. Does it lead to more deer being harvested than would be if it didn't exist? Maybe, but how many of those deer donated would be just left in fields. Obviously I know that is not legal, but it happens. And I believe it would happen even more without hush. At least the deer gets tagged, reported, and used with HUSH. It is a great program in my opinion. Does it have flaws and downsides? Of course, but overall it is great for Iowa as a whole.

Just my 2 cents, I work at a locker in eastern Iowa where we have received quite a few hush deer through the years. ALL I ASK IS THAT YOU PROPERLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR DEER JUST LIKE YOU WOULD IF YOU WERE GOING TO EAT IT!!
90 % of the deer donated are not taken care of properly. We did however see a dramatic drop in the #s of donated deer this past season.

There are pros and cons to the HUSH program and during shotgun season I am sure if it weren't for that program we would see more dead does left in the field going to waste that could help people that can't afford meat

I stick with my opinion. When there is talk about the poor and needy, I have yet to meet a person that is not a hunter that even likes Venison. The,"Poor" in our country are rich compared to the rest of the world. With food stamps and other programs, and emphasis on childhood obeisity, hard to believe there are starving Iowans. Now I know there are always exceptions. Just my opinions anyway.

FYI. The request was denied. It was suggested that such a request needs to be brought to the legislature. Personally I don't see it getting any legs there either.

What you mean you need a better reason,If you were a Politician you would gladly let an end be put to it for any reason if u want it gone!

Top Bottom