Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

End result of a bad shot

Swintonator

Well my friend rc10pt posted my situation while I was hunting and thought I'd wrap it up as it spurred on some passionate debate. It was Halloween night 3 hours into a 10 day hunt in southern Iowa. It had been raining to this point but now the sun had peaked out and it was a nice sunset. A doe ran by my stand at 15yds. Soon after I seen a good buck standing on the road. First night and all I enjoyed watching him but didn't think I'd take him. As he got to 80yds I changed my mind and when he went behind a big limb I drew back. I held for probably 40 seconds and when he came into sight he was 30 yards with his nose to the ground on a fast trot. I bleated twice and finally yelled "HEY" to stop him as he almost was out of my last shooting lane. He was broadside at 16 yards I put my pin right behind his shoulder and on the lower half of his body and I hit him forward. He ran 40 yards, stopped and looked around, walked 20 more yards looked around again then with a slight limp continued after the doe. I waited a half hour and climbed down to check the arrow which was laying not 10 feet from where I hit him. It had hair 2" back but no blood. Some meat and fat on the broad head was all there was. I got down face to the ground and slowly followed the trail to where he went out of sight finding no blood. I then backed out. Showed the arrow to my dad and called a couple others to get there opinions.

The general consensus was he was just fine and I chose to not search further. This is the first arrow I've let fly at a deer and would've been my first buck. The next day I wouldn't of shot a deer if it came in as I was sick to my stomach for wounding an animal and mad at myself. Hunted the next 9 days, 8-15 hours on stand each day. Results were lots of does and smaller bucks underneath me. Grunted in a nice 8pt but decided to pass on it. Almost grunted in a big 10 and seen the biggest deer of my life at 60yds which was an incredible encounter. Did not fill my early muzzle tag as I held out for one buck that didn't shown. Didn't fill my bow buck tag and didn't try to fill my doe tag yet and am very ok with it. I feel idiotic for trying to squeeze a shot in behind the shoulder. A friend of my dads who bow hunts said to aim there and I questioned it and he told me that was the spot. Later I started doubting that advice again but in the heat of the moment with the deer not stopping easily and making a fairly quick shot I defaulted to that aim point, drifted a measly 2" forward and that was that. I got my bow a year ago and I've practiced weekly for 6 months and on targets can easily and consistently make a good shot to 50 yards which makes blowing one at 16 all the harder but it was a great lesson learned and a mistake I will be careful to avoid in the future.

I will not say I did the right thing in not doing a grid search. I made a decision based on the information I had and wrestled with it the whole week. Last night my dad seen the same buck in a food plot ears laid back chasing 3 different bucks all over the place. Limp was barely noticeable so at least it was a happy ending. Look forward to hitting the stand again this weekend. Though very new I'm basically obsessed with bow hunting and am trying to do everything the best was possible, hopefully future post on here will be in a much better context. I have one picture only of the deer I hit. It's not great but I'll try and post it.

-Andy

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1616&pictureid=15691

picture.php

Last edited:
It's tough that these things happen while bow hunting. I've had my fair share of bad shots in my first few years as well. It has gotten better with experience. You by no means should feel bad about the shot you took, it sounds like it was a good ethical shot to me. 16 yards broadside...that is what guys dream about. Behind the shoulder is exactly where you need to be aiming. Probably just rushed the shot just a little bit ... things happen. Glad you know the deer made it. Keep on hunting!

What is the point of shooting for the heart???? Lets say you go to a bow competition, someone says I will give you a 1000 dollars and you can pick your target, a pie plate, or a softball, which are you gonna choose? Lungs are just as deadly a shot as a heart shot. Yes may be a little longer track job, or maybe even take a little longer for a deer to expire, but to me it is the safest shot to take and almost guarantees a recovery if you do not push the deer to early, mainly that would only happen if it was a single lung hit.

Andy, don't take it so hard. Bow hunting is not that easy. It will all come with experience. Just don't give up. Get back up in that stand and the next opportunity will probably have much better results. Good luck!

I bet most of us have a similar story to yours. Hit deer, no recovery. With a little luck they will show back up alive as yours did. I did nearly the same exact thing last year on a nice buck. Wasn't too long and had him on camera again, alive and well. Thanks for the story and we will look forward to seeing some harvest photos from you in the future!

What is the point of shooting for the heart???? Lets say you go to a bow competition, someone says I will give you a 1000 dollars and you can pick your target, a pie plate, or a softball, which are you gonna choose? Lungs are just as deadly a shot as a heart shot. Yes may be a little longer track job, or maybe even take a little longer for a deer to expire, but to me it is the safest shot to take and almost guarantees a recovery if you do not push the deer to early, mainly that would only happen if it was a single lung hit.

If they drop, you are in the lungs so aim for the heart....

You don't owe an excuse to anyone on here that is for sure. It happens, definitely sounds like a none lethal hit and was proven with another sighting. He's fine, you're still hunting. Life is good.

Sounds like you had fun...don't hesitate to shoot a doe if you have a tag. Good confidence builder!

I like Winkie's advice on aiming and planning for a drop. Inside 20 pick your spot and shoot. Don't expect a drop at that distance. Outside of that plan for an 8 inch drop and aim at the heart or bottom of the body.

Your aim point is fine and the heart is a great target. Lots of room for error in more ways than one. What you experienced is something anybody who has bowhunted for a given amount of time has experienced. Keep at it and that buck is just fine:)

Top Bottom