Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

equipment wishlist

ollie085

If all you had was a 60-100 hp tractor and someone handed you $5k for equipment, what would make your shopping list? Tiller, drill, all-in-one plotmaster, etc...?

$5k doesn't go very far for equipment but I would start with a tiller, mower, broadcast spreader and a cultipacker. Would love a drill but that might have to wait for the next $5k windfall...

Big brush mower and a night out. Maybe a trailer for the tractor :)

x2. This is my first year with a real tractor and implements and the one that I value most so far is my brush mower. I spent up and got a heavier duty mower than I would have to do, but I have not regretted that at all.

So...$5000...I spent a little less than 1/2 that on my mower, I would then buy a disk for #2 and probably still have a few bucks to play with for implement #3.

Mower, disk and cultipacker. Use them for a few years till you can get a drill or rotary tiller

I know someone who just sent three harrows to Duwa's Auction for the Sept 11 sale. Might find other items you need there. Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Duwa nor will I profit from any sales.

Sprayer, disc, cultipacker, mower and spreader. But that's probably gonna b more than 5k so I'm disqualified I guess but it's possible to find good used ones and hit $5k- possible. The fun part is when u decide u want 2 & 3 of every item as back ups or different reasons.

Sprayer, disc, cultipacker, mower and spreader. But that's probably gonna b more than 5k so I'm disqualified I guess but it's possible to find good used ones and hit $5k- possible. The fun part is when u decide u want 2 & 3 of every item as back ups or different reasons.

"He who dies with the most toys... wins" Malcom Forbes :D

What about "he who breaks the most toys???!!!??" That's about why I have all my stuff. When one goes down, I run to the back up. A few food plots are much easier & pry not needed. Farming, need the back ups and then a massive arsenal to fix all the stuff. I wish I could actually have just one implement that really did do everything & magically never had any issues. :)

I've got free use of a couple different PTO mowers. Anything that would work up the ground or spread or plant seed is what I'm lacking. IF I play my cards right I might be able to get the same kind of funding for two or three years.

I'd purchase used equipment to get the most out of it. Figure a disk for 500-1000. A old drill for 1000. Brush hog for 1,000. Cultipacker could be had for 500-1000. Sprayer could be Rigged up for about 300. Spreader would cost 200. A two crow corn planter for about 1500.

Your basic 3 pt, 500 lbs spreader is really handy & can actually be a lot more precise than some realize if you play with them. I think even new they are only maybe $500? Back in the day I got a heavy duty Rhino rotary cutter (built like a tank) almost like new for $1500 - the guy needed to unload it. (Have a CX15 now which essentially really does the same thing, just better & faster and that was well over 10 times that amount, doesn't make sense sometimes). 60-100 hp tractor with a Cat 2 hook up, I'd be getting a 3 point sprayer that's 200 gallons. That's what I have for my small tractor and it's HANDY!!! I have it where I can run out booms OR I can switch over to my boomless nozzle. For foodplots, tucked in areas and brushy areas, I'd be lost without my boomless nozzle. Cheap, maybe $1,000 after I redid a bunch of things on it and got a better pump. (same thing with my big sprayer, 1000 gallons with every thing known to man but that was maybe $15-20k & essentially does the same thing, just bigger & better - no reason for it with plots of course). Drill, I got new there & I've had a nice used 15' deere but I'd pry stick with new or see if you can find above, a deal on a used one (hopefully works ok). Now, I have Great plains with 3 seed boxes (fluffy for natives, small seed and large seed) - can plant pretty much anything.
YA, I kinda would plan for this maybe???:
$1500 rotary mower - I would shop for solid brands & models that have not been abused and check the oil in the gear boxes, blades, etc.
$1500 for a good cultipacker that doesn't need lots of welds and isn't full of broken cast iron parts. Hard to find truly good ones that don't need work, it's a task.
$500-1000 for a good solid disc that's not worn to piss.
$500-1500 for sprayer (for example, if you wanted a Roller pump that has the specs to accept round-up, you're talking $300 minimum for a 6 roller I'd guess, $450-600 for a 8 roller. Regular ones that if you read label will not tolerate round-up are much less but I've used them with roundup and I don't know if it's bs or not?).
$500 spreader.
$2,000 for a good 7000 JD 4 row planter. Many people ask $3-4k and that's insane. $2500 max. Must have no til coulters & you're gonna end up wanting corn units with Kinze Bean Meters or Kinze Radial Bean Units (whatever you want to call them, Kinze, brush bean meters). JD bean cups are junk. I've rebuilt some planters before and added things on, can get expensive (rebuilding drills are way worse) so get something solid.

All these things I mentioned, just go ahead and buy 3 of everything! ;)
While you're at it, welder, torch, massive tool arsenal, have a repair shop, air tools & portable electric tools, might as well hire a full time repair guy and have a tire shop on call for all the massive tire problems you'll have every day too! HA! :D

Top Bottom