Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Escanaba in da Moonlight

Fishbonker

Life Member
A great movie. Set in a deer camp in the UP. Stars Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber) and the cast of the original stage play written by Daniels. In ways a very touching movie and in ways funnier than Blazing Saddles. It had to go back to the rental place yesterday or I'd be watching it again today. You have to listen close to get all of the gags. Short movie, about 90 minutes. Well worth the time.

The 'Bonker

I'll have to check that one out tonight...here's a couple more if you like "serious" movies

Death to Smoochy...makes fun of the whole "barney" thing...quite amusing
Galaxy Quest...Tim Allen in a Star Trek spoof...i almost messed myself laughing so hard
Office Space...just watch it, if you think your job sucks and your life sucks i promise you that things will be in a new perspective after this movie.

Fishbonker,

When I was younger I used to hunt in a deer camp just outside of Escanba, Michigan and the movie isn't that far off from the truth. It brought back some good memories. You guys probably have stories of party hunting, we have stories of deer camps. Thanks for the post.

Nonres

Nonres:

Way back when, 1975 I think, I spent from about Labor Day till just after Thanksgiving in the UP. Wow, what a place and what a time of year to be there. I was working for the US Geological Survey. Our area was from Iron Mountain to Marquete to Copper Harbor/Houghton/Hancock and back to Ironwood. I was just a grunt and really wasn't sure why we were there but the locals were sure it was about project Sanguine. It was the Navy's plan to bury antena wire underground to provide comunications for their subs. Don't know if that ever happened or not, but the project was gonna rip the poop outa the forests so the Yoopers were kinda unfriendy. Can't say as I blame them. Our job was to run new "picture lines" for new sets of 7.5 minute maps. We would start at a known place (benchmark) and run a line (sometimes for several miles) to a place that was easily identifiable on aireal photographs. Most of the time it was a cross road or even "edge of vegitation". One point was a huge pine tree in the middle of a meadow. Looking back we should have done more star shots and set more bench marks, but it was cold and the guy I worked for was always in a hurry. I think he originated the term "close enough for goverment work". Anyway, to this day I still end every sentence with "eh" and I haven't had a decent pasty since Ishpeming.

The 'Bonker eh

Top Bottom