Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Essential Oils for Cover Scents?

thephatchef

PMA Member
Has anyone used or heard of using different essential oils as a cover scent for deer hunting? My sister sells them and thinks the are the cure to every ache and ailment, which I think is a lot hog crap. However, it got me thinking about the use of essential oils as a cover scent. These essential oils are extremely concentrated in their scent, and come in "flavors" such as pine, cedarwood, cypress, anise, persimmon honeysuckle, and apparently, acorn. They recommend putting these oils in a carrier oil like olive oil, sweet almond, jojoba, and more.

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about using these. It would definitely be cheaper than buying a bunch of cover scent at the store, and could provide an intense cover scent that would be completely natural.

I don't think you can get enough cover scents to mask human scent where deer cannot smell it personally.

Best cure for scent control is get high...up in the tree :D

Never thought about using them for cover. As for the cures, they do work....surprisingly. Most guys think the same way....sounds like snake oil. But my wife and her sister are all about them and to be honest I'm pretty convinced they work. Not for everything but they do some amazing stuff! And if I can use something natural vs. something pharmaceutical, I'll go natural all day.

Premise 1. A dog can pick out drugs packed in a can of coffee grounds or any other heavy "masking" odor.
Premise 2. Most of these drugs, other than probably pot, produce less odor than a person does.
Premise 3. A deer's nose is more sensitive than a dogs.
Conclusion....No cover scent is going to fully mask human scent from an animal that has such a good ability to smell AND differentiate among multiple odors.

Odor reduction can drastically reduce a persons odor footprint. Getting high up in a tree or staying in a closed blind will help disperse odor or help contain it. I have lost faith in all cover scents and have much better success in producing as little odor as possible. This of course all going along with having the wind dictate entry, exit and stand choices.

Ive used essential oils in my soaps the last 3 years.. however, I ONLY use that soap all year to stay away from processed soaps... I have not been winded that I know of yet... and last night we had 16 deer straight downwind, including the 160+ we were after..Cedar Basin Bath Essentials outdoor soaps is what I have been using

Ive used essential oils in my soaps the last 3 years.. however, I ONLY use that soap all year to stay away from processed soaps... I have not been winded that I know of yet... and last night we had 16 deer straight downwind, including the 160+ we were after..Cedar Basin Bath Essentials outdoor soaps is what I have been using

Sometimes the wind current makes it seem they are downwind when in reality your scent stream is going somewhere else.

That is interesting tho and something I'll look into for future scent control with that soap.

Never thought about using them for cover. As for the cures, they do work....surprisingly. Most guys think the same way....sounds like snake oil. But my wife and her sister are all about them and to be honest I'm pretty convinced they work. Not for everything but they do some amazing stuff! And if I can use something natural vs. something pharmaceutical, I'll go natural all day.

We use them too. Works great in a diffuser to provide a calming enviro in the house. No different than smelling pumpkin spice or something that makes you hungry.

I doubt they calm a prison riot down to where you can hear a mouse squeak or anything like that tho :D

Top Bottom