Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ethically correct?

BowHunter84

Hey guys just wanted some opinions here, im feeling awful and very depressed. I was out turkey hunting today with my bow and had a tom in range around 25 yards, took the shot and hear a hollow thump, went up to where the bird was standing and found one bloody feather, with 2 other feathers that were dry, found the arrow with the shaft completely dry. The broadhead had a little red in it and that was it. the bird flew off and landed about 100 in which i lost site of him, i went to the area where he landed and searched for blood, nothing. My question is. Is it ethically correct to continue hunting, or do i go with the draw blood pay use the tag idea?
Thanks guys

Myself, I would go check the area again and if i didn't find him I'd continue hunting. Just because things don't work out one time doesn't mean you should end your season on such a down note. Pick your head up and try again. Chances are you grazed him if he flew off and didn't die. How you describe your arrow confirms to me that you just grazed him and he's not seriously hurt at all. Keep at it and next time you'll be concentrating doubly hard and will get that bird!!

Thanks for your opinion muddy hopefully the birds will return to the area, there were about 10 birds 60 yards from my blind they flew off as i got out of the blind
wall.gif

BowHunter - Turkeys have the brain the size of a small walnut, they may be a bit "wiser" but I doubt they'll move out of the area. I've found that after a few weeks of hunting that decoys start to spook them a bit sometimes. If I were you I wouldn't use any decoys for awhile. Just do some calling here and there and curiosity will bring them in. On the plus side the hens will start nesting soon so the toms will start getting easier to call to later in the morning and mid-day. You'll get him yet.

Get back on the horse man! It really is disappointing when that happens. I would be worried if you thought nothing of it! Go getcha some!
waytogo.gif
Those birds will be back in the area. May be not to the same spot but they will be around.

Top Bottom