Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ethics question and late season tactics?

boacephus

Ok I know they don't really go together but....

Ok for the ethics? There was a "decent" buck wounded during second season. I haven't seen it but know the area it has been seen in, I also hear it is limping good and is a few paces behind keeping up with the other deer in his group. I don't know rather he is a "shooter" or not. But he may not make it with the winter, maybe he will, is it better then fried butter tag sandwich?

Next question is late tactics. The deer are super spooky around here but I am confident I could fill a doe tag and my either sex tag with a doe in one or two hunts. I'm guessing hunt where the does are (mainly in the open fields in the evening, I know where they cross) for the oppurtunity for a buck right? Any scents or calling tactics involved or simply set and wait.

Wounded buck = bad bacteria flowing around in his bloodstream right now. Yeah, it'd cook out, but why take that chance? If he's lagging behind that's better than just sitting there waiting for the coyotes, he may surprise you and make it.

Late season for me involves long still hunts and hunting food sources. IF the cold weather continues it looks as if you have the right idea already.

As for your first question that I think you were asking, if it doesn't bother you to shoot him on your tag, go for it.

As for the second one, I would keep as low a profile as possible when hunting late season especially if you want to kill a buck.
waytogo.gif

I had a large doe leading a group of five or six deer towards my stand first Saturday of rifle season. I noticed she had a little limp on her right rear leg, but no exposed wounds. The Encore dropped her in her tracks. After skinning her out, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the meat. In fact, I would say the injury happened very early in her life, as her entire knee was calcified and hard as a rock. Could have been hit by a car at a young age?

My 9 pointer I shot with my bow this year had a calcified right rear knee. The bone was as wide as his entire leg just above the knee. His rack was messed up on the right side, which may have been affected by the leg injury. I would guess he broke his leg last year some time and it healed up. Amazing how tough these animals can be.

Top Bottom