Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

European mount

Does anybody have any imput/suggestions/experience on making a European mount? I have a deer head skinned out and am debating on the boil vs. beetle methods. What I read on the internet says you have to be careful as sometimes the boiling causes the teeth to fall out.

I know there have been other posts on this subject, including pics of Dermestid beetles doing their thing. Also, where do you get them and are they expensive?

I can just hear my lovely wife now saying "You spent how much on bugs???" (She really is understanding...but I'm sure this will be an outside or garage project!)

Thanks for any imput!

MO
smirk.gif

I've done a couple europeans, and all I have done is boil them for awhile; keep working the meat off the skull while you are boiling get everything off with a tough bristled brush and knife. Make sure you get most of the brain dug out as well. Then once it is fairly clean, put in fresh water until that is boiling then add 2 bottles of hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide does a great job of turning them white and finishing off any of the leftover stuff still on the skull. Be prepared to spend a long time at it though. Make sure the bases of the antlers are covered in tin foil if they are going to touch the water because they water will turn them white. There are lots of methods but this has worked great for me. Good luck.

I've finish a bunch of these and did two last week. You will hear of lots of ways to do it, but here is what works for me.

I use a scalpel to flesh the skull. Also, remove the eyes and lower jaw and everything else you can easily cut off.

I use a metal five gallon bucket on top of a fish cooker with a 2 x 4 under the main beam of the rack to keep the antlers out of the water and the skull fully submerged.

Bring the water to a rolling boil and then back it off to a simmer. Leave the skull in the water for two hours and no longer. You don't want to cook the cartilage so much the skull plates start to separate.

Now the fun part, grab a high pressure sprayer, a rain suit, and have fun.

In about 10 minutes you have a beautiful skull mount. It's really that easy.
grin.gif

I've done at least 12 of them and I pretty much do what Ghost said. A pressure washer really helps. I saw the back of the skull off so it will hang flat against the wall. It also makes it easier to get all the grey matter (brains) out. Make sure you look in all the little holes, nooks and crannies for any small pieces of meat. If you miss a little piece or two your wife will let you know.........
wall.gif

I was hoping that Logcabin would come on here and explain how he did his buck from last year. It turned out awesome and as a matter of fact I'm having him do my buck I shot this year.

If you choose to remove the flesh off the skull before boiling, be careful not to cut into the skull with your knife. Any little nicks or small cut marks on the bone of the skull will show up once the skull is boiled and be very noticeable

Also, Van Dykes Taxidermy Supply has a skull mounting kit for $20.00

It includes a sodium hydroxide mix which makes the meat turn into jello so its easier to remove as well as a bleach solution. There is enough material to do 3-4 heads so its a pretty cheap kit with instructions when you add it up 5 bucks/skull mount.

You can also supersize this kit with a nice oak panel for 40.00 if you choose.

Good Luck

I use the same method, simmer then powerwash. Then I get a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide, set the scull out on a sunny day and pour it over it several times until it gets nice and white, this keeps the antlers from bleaching out. It really is pretty easy.

After reading others responses I now realize that I should have found this site sooner and had someone from here do my archery buck from last year. I had a hell of a time with it and managed to make a huge disgusting mess. The next time I think I need a Euro mount I will be finding someone who enjoys doing it.
grin.gif

Guys,

Thanks for all the hints...I especially love the comment about making a huge disgusting mess! So far I have skinned the cape off the head, removed the eyes (ugh!), and sawed off the lower jaw bone.

My plan is now to heat up water over my fish cooking grill and put that baby in the boiling water. From everything I've heard/read, sounds like this is the smelliest part.

Also like the comment on tin foil cover for the bases of the antlers so they don't discolor. Then, it's off to the carwash to power spray the leftover internal gunk!

I'll be busy tomorrow morning!

MO
smirk.gif

You didn't have to saw the jaw bone off. once You boiled it, you could have poped it right out of the sockets. Not that it really matters, but it works pretty slick.

Just wondering, How you guys attach your skulls to your plaques? I've heard of filling the skull with epoxy and other stuff but I was just wondering if anyone had any other methods or if this is the way to go. thanks

I screw it right through the back of the skull. There is a real hard piece of bone behind the eye socket.

I cut a small 1"x2" block of wood and glue it inside the rear of the skull. Car bondo will also wok to hold the wood in place. "I use a sawz-all to cut off the rear of the brain cavity down through the teeth." It makes the cleaning process ALOT easier and helps the skull lay flat against your plaque or wall. I have done tons of them and I agree that the power washer is the best tool for doing these type of mounts. A little "Sal-soda" or soda ash in your water while boiling will cut your cooking time in half. Don't forget to brush the skull with some peroxide and set it in the sun for a couple days. It will really make it white. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
If you miss a little piece or two your wife will let you know.........
wall.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

evil.gif

Great information...preferable to have only the skull in "hot water"
blush.gif

Top Bottom