Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Every fighter has a plan....

nockthru

until he takes his first punch. Last night I sent an arrow towards live game for the first time in my life. Fail. This is only my second season and last night was my most exciting hunt to date. Spent the afternoon in the stand and saw a couple of young bucks chasing does right under my stand but I didn't have an chance to get a shot. At about 6:00 a small fork came in front of me. After eating my tag last season I told myself I would take the first ethical shot that presented its self. Everything went according to plan, I drew back when his head was down, I waited for a clean quartering away shot, I stopped him in a small shooting window, and released the arrow. At first I thought I hit him, but when I got down and found my arrow it was cleaner than a nun's dream. A friend came out to help me look for a blood trail, but we found nothing. Here is what I think happened, I got too excited. Instead of picking a spot on his vitals and focusing my 20 pin (we has at 15 yrds) I centered my whole site housing on his vitals and when he stopped where I wanted him to I let it fly.... right over his back. Please file the following question under "dumb rookie":
If I did hit him there would be atleast some blood on the arrow?
I have to work today, but my buddy was going to go over there this morning and look again for blood in the daylight. I gained a lot of experience points last night and can't wait to get back at it. Sorry this is so long, I am still a little amped up.

I feel your pain, we've all been there man! The first time I ever shot a deer with my bow I was so nervous I closed my eyes right before I released so I had no idea if I hit him or not. I'd say if your arrow didn't have any fat, hair or blood on it then it was a clean miss. On the bright side it's better than a bad hit. It's all downhill after you get that first one under your belt though, so get back in the saddle and keep your head up! Good luck!

Did ya hear the "shhhwack"? Im no pro either this Is my 4th year bowhunting but a clean miss is alot better than a bad hit. Keep at it man and just wait till ya do slap one, talk about bein pumped up! Haha ya what meyer said^!

no "shwwack" but it would have been hard to recognize over the sound of my heart pumping. additionally, the deer "bounded" away, taking big jumps instead of running at a dead sprint. i am not sure how the deer should run after being shot, sadly my only basis for how a deer acts once shots comes from hunting show. i am actually a little embarassed to admit that.

no "shwwack" but it would have been hard to recognize over the sound of my heart pumping. additionally, the deer "bounded" away, taking big jumps instead of running at a dead sprint. i am not sure how the deer should run after being shot, sadly my only basis for how a deer acts once shots comes from hunting show. i am actually a little embarassed to admit that.

I'd look but from the sounds of things I'd say you missed him. Every archer, veteran or rookie, has had this happen. The same rush that makes us miss shots like this is also the same rush that all hunters live for. The rush just lasts longer when you know you've connected with a well placed shot. You will get a chance to redeem yourself. By the looks of activity around here if say very soon possibly. Just make sure you put pictures on the Harvest forum as soon as you get one on the ground! A first deer is an amazing thing.

Reading your post just makes me smile, add 1 more to the good guy list, your hooked for good bro. Don't beat yourself up to bad it happens to us all, My heart still does the same and i'm going on 12 yrs, if you ever lose that excitement go ahead and sell your stuff cause it isn't in you anymore, but until then enjoy the high and the ride, your day is coming soon! :drink1:

Reading your post just makes me smile, add 1 more to the good guy list, your hooked for good bro. Don't beat yourself up to bad it happens to us all, My heart still does the same and i'm going on 12 yrs, if you ever lose that excitement go ahead and sell your stuff cause it isn't in you anymore, but until then enjoy the high and the ride, your day is coming soon! :drink1:
X2 I've been a bowhunting junkie since '82 and the first time the heart doesn't race will be the last arrow I release.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Clean miss is a good learning experience. At least you know what you did wrong. Thinking clearly through a bow shot at a deer is a tough thing to do. Doe or buck I still usually can't remember anything about the shot after its over.

First time I drew back on a deer I completely forgot to line up my peep sight... (just excitement). Shot way off to one side, and missed clean. The second I released the arrow I realized what I had done!

Steve

Top Bottom