Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Everything happens for a reason!

beararchery

After getting done setting traps around 12 and checkin the the wind directions I realized I wasn’t going to be able to hunt the property I usually hunt. So i decided to head down to some land that my uncle owns and leases out to famers. After about a 45 minute drive I met up with a buddy of mine and as he ate we found out the wind was swirling and didnt want to risk hunting the stand I intended to. I wasn’t to upset because I knew i still had 3 more good stands on 2 other pieces of property, just a couple miles down the road.
After getting to the first piece of property that held two really good stand locations, the farmer was still cuttin corn right on the edge of the timber. I kind of got a little discouraged but I still wanted to make the day worth it, so I drove to another farm about a half a mile down that we usually dont see deer on.
After jumping up into the stand I was ready for a long uneventful hunt. I was a little upset I wasnt setting in the one of the three other stands, but i decided to just relax, enjoy the scenery, and just see what happens.

attachment

At around 3:45 my phone was dieing and I was all out of halloween candy, so I decided to try and get serious, and see if I can get some kind of deer movement. After hitting the horns together and doing a little grunting, nothing happened (like excpected).

4:30 hit and I just happened to peak over my shoulder to see a 130-140 in 8 walkin by at 15 yards in a cattle pasture. After realizing the age of the deer it was hard for me to let him go. After watchin him jump the fence in front of me and standing broadside at 20 yards, it was like he was taunting me. I got another glimpse out of the corner of my eye coming from the same direction. After seeing the size of his body I knew it was shooter. He was walking the same path as the 3 year old but he was very skittish.

Right before he got into my shooting lane I drew back slowly, with him at 20 yards it was easy for him to peg me, but it was to late I was at full draw and he was broadside. I let the arrow fly and i hit him right where i was aiming but hitting the opposite shoulder and not getting a pass threw. I was a little nervous after seeing that arrow not make it all the way threw but after hearing what i thought was him crashing got my adrenalin running.

I backed out for 3 hours giving him enough time to lay down and die. After coming back and trackin we were finding very dime sized drops every 15-20 yards. Once we were about 50 yards in the blood started pouring out, we followed the blood another 100-75 yards and found him, making him my biggest buck grossing just over 164 3/8. I would have had in-field harvest photos but both our phones were dead.

attachment

Last edited:
Top Bottom