Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Exit strategies when surrounded by deer?

birddown101

Looking for some ideas on the best way to get out of the woods at night when you are surrounded by deer.

Last night I had deer scattered around me. I was hoping they would eventually work past my stand but for whatever reason they didn't leave. I sat for a while in the dark hoping they would leave but no. Not wanting to sit in the stand all night,I ended up turning my flight on(so i could find it when I got down)and throwing it at the closest one. They scattered then! Was thinking that's probably not the best idea, but wondered what things you guys have done?

Wait it out or have someone drive a vehicle as close as possible to you. I've been stuck on stand for nearly 90 minutes before from having a shooter there. It sucks but the proposition of educating him wasn't fun either.

Haha you actually threw it at one? I have an owl hooter in my pack from turkey hunting that I never took out. I wonder if that would move them along without spookin em? Probably not...

The farm I hunt unfortunatly has 1 dog that has a habit of chasing deer from time to time but it never seems to stop them from coming out where they come out every night. My exit strategy normally consists of barking like a dog and the deer usually scatter. Like I mentioned tho these deer are used to the dog for the most part and it never stops them from entering the same field night in and night out.

I have thrown my rattle bag out into the field before when there was no other option and I could not wait. Deer still came back the next night. This was just to move does. I would probably wait if a shooter was around.

Lots of coyotes where I hunt and once I howled to get the deer to move away from the stand so I could climb down.

Howling has worked well for me also. Although you feel dumb doing it, its a great chance to muster up the best yote impression you can!

I've used every thing from a coyote howl to a slingshot. But the best option is having someone drive a vehicle in and pick you up. It will bump them out of the way without actually spooking them.
I've had trail camera pics 5-10 mins after the vehicle drives by

The Bill Winke Phone a friend idea is admirable where you have someone come in with a vehicle and clear the field, but I would guess well over 3/4 of us don't have somebody close to just wheel in and be at your beckon call.

Have someone drive in has worked for me. The deer don't seem to associate the vehicle with someone getting out of the stand. Luckily I usually have someone who can be there in 10-15 minutes. Sometimes by the time they get there tho, the deer have moved on anyway. Oh well, at least I get a ride back to the truck! I also have a coyote call in my pack, but haven't used it for moving deer. I keep it to try some predator management when the opportunity arises.

I wait until dark and get down and walk right though them. They don't seem to spook bad. Deer are back in the same field the next night.

Also, sometimes I run into deer on the way to the stand or back to the truck in the dark. Assuming I see them (I mean their eyes light up) from a distance, I then try to wait them out, or move as slow as possible. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I usually have a green cap light on instead of using a flashlight, which doesn't seem to bother them too much. I've actually been within 20 yards of a few bucks (probably 3.5-4.5 or younger) in the dark with nothing between us, and they just go on their way if I just stayed still. Once was when I was going in to the stand, other times I have been collecting scent wicks and whatnot or going back to the truck.

Top Bottom