Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Expandable BH Help!

Phantom

PMA Member
I bought some 100 gr. hammerhead expandables to use for spring turkey season. These have a 2" cutting diameter and are supposed to be great for turkeys.

I shot them at my block target this morning and have a problem. At 10 yards, the o-ring is not coming off allowing the blades to open. I'm shooting a compound set at 63 pounds, 29" ics camo hunter 340 shafts at 222 fps. Not sure what the kenetic energy is. Why aren't they opening up?

Are the blades being pushed all the way through the target? If you are pulling the arrow back through the target the blades may be collapsing back forward and the O ring just sliding back down to where it started.

The blades are not being pushed all the way through the target, so perhaps they are sliding back in. I thought the oring would break and fly off upon impact. Perhaps I need to locate another target. Thanks for the help.

Phantom

These huge mechanicals were designed for fast setups with launch speeds over 260 fps. They have caught on with turkey hunters because of the large amount of damage they can inflict, but I believe their original purpose was to prevent complete pass-throughs and lost arrows from hi-energy setups.

I learned this myself a few years back
wall.gif
when I started using both Sledgehammers & 4-blade Hammerheads.

Simply roll the O-ring back to the middle or back notch ...this should take care of the problem
waytogo.gif

Rocket Hammerheads

Shoot a field tip into the same target and compare the penetration. That should let you know if they are opening or not.

If you're shooting them at a "Block" target, you should be able to tell if they're opening up by looking for cut marks in the layered foam.
CRITR

Thanks for the help guys. After rolling back the oring and checking penetration, I can tell they are opening up. Can't wait until the opener!

Phantom

Has anyone here shot a deer with the 2 inch Rocket Hammerheads?

If so, what did you think...results?
grin.gif

I've shot several does with them. One blood trail was so heavy that I had to walk beside the trial to keep from getting my pants bloody! However, I have yet to have an arrow make it completely through with the big head on!?!? I've had a few dangle out the other side but not pass clear through. Huge hole though and it might just help with a marginal hit.

I have been shooting Grim Reaper 100 and Spit-fire xp pro series 100 mechanicals all shots have been complete pass throughs with great blood trails and short recoveries. Most deer have fallen dead within sight. Best of all no O-rings and they shoot just like my field points. I use the Spit-fire Gobbler getter for turkeys they are designed to open and hang in the Turkeys boiler room and as the turkey flops around it does more internal damage....

http://www.newarchery.com/broadheads/spitfirexp.asp

http://grimreaperbroadheads.com/

http://newarchery.com/broadheads/spitfire.asp

If you really want to get technical you could get a couple pieces of high density foam and put a piece of paper between them and then shoot the paper. That will tell you if they are open or not. Or even just put something in front of your target and slip a piece of paper between. Both should work.

Top Bottom