Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Expandables or fixed-blades for black bears?

longspurs

Hopefully there are some of you out there who can help me out with this one. I'm leaving Friday for a black bear hunting trip in Ontario and I'm debating what would be better - shooting expandable broadheads or fixed-blades ...? Both shoot well out of my bow but I wonder which would be better.

I'm tempted to shoot fixed-blades (100 grain Muzzy), which is my whitetail set-up. With a bear's thicker hide, fat, hair, etc., I'm leaning that way. Any suggestions? Thanks for any tips you can provide ... my curiosity has gotten the best of me so I thought I'd put it out there!
-Longspurs-

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted to shoot fixed-blades (100 grain Muzzy)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I would do. I wouldn't trust a mechanical head on a bear.

Go the fixed route, I think a few outfitters discourage expandables. It aint that tough to blow through.
grin.gif

I killed this bear (my first) using a 100 grain jackhammer expandable. Quick pass through at 17 yards and an easy recovery.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6675&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

The second bear I shot I used a muzzy. Not because I lacked confidence in the expandable, but because they simply flew better out of the new bow I was shooting. If the hit is good, I don't think it matters.

Good luck! If you've never done it before, having a bear within bow range is a rush unlike any you've experienced with a whitetail
waytogo.gif

NWBuck

No different than shooting a whitetail provided you have enough KE. I have used 100 Grain 1 3/4 Jak-hammers on all the game I have taken in the last 3 years. This includes the bear to the right
grin.gif
:
3089-1-03_mn_bear-med.JPG

Top Bottom