Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Eyes opened- crossbows

newfarmer

Don’t worry- this isn’t me being “for” crossbows…but- I was shopping today for my father in law for some new bolts (his shoulders are ruined, medically cleared). My eyes were majorly opened to how much of a battle we are going to have on our hands. The 2 stores I stopped in, both crossbow sections were flooded with people. Bolts are cheaper than regular arrows (at least in these stores) and I think each store had 15+ new Ravin crossbows. Hang on boys and girls- it’s going to get ugly I’m afraid.

Iowa would be the “worst” scenario for crossbows to be allowed. Big bucks, food plots, funnels, usually an intense rut! It would be a disaster!

It’s bad in my home state-Minnesota, but we have an early November gun season, so it’s not comparable. It’s just piling on to bad regulations!

The negative impact would be felt the most in Iowa!

Came across this the other day, made me chuckle.
0b6ddac68f70153d4ab421f30ef3ba48.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The gates have been open for a while. We have cell phone cameras, muzzleloaders that can hit a pie plate at 600 yards, if the crossbows are being used by people who need them because they can no longer pull a compound bow then I have no problem with it.
I've just come to the realization that as long as I control the way I want to hunt then it doesn't really matter what everyone else is doing. Set your standards for yourself and enjoy your hunt.

The gates have been open for a while. We have cell phone cameras, muzzleloaders that can hit a pie plate at 600 yards, if the crossbows are being used by people who need them because they can no longer pull a compound bow then I have no problem with it.
I've just come to the realization that as long as I control the way I want to hunt then it doesn't really matter what everyone else is doing. Set your standards for yourself and enjoy your hunt.
I would wager 95-100% of hunters are fine with crossbows being legal "archery" tackle for those who cannot physically pull 40-50# compounds. The issue I (we) have is with able bodied people who are too lazy and/or do not prioritize actual archery proficiency, flooding the woods with crossbows they bought at Bass Pro the week before. It's been proven that full-fledged crossbow introduction to archery seasons pushes out actual archers and strains an already limited resource- ACCESS. Harvest and age structure are a whole 'nother can of worms.

Regs being liberalized has been the trend. & it’s been a sad trend with data we can now assess…. States that “allow it all” “anything goes”, etc- hunter numbers plummet. Quality of age class & deer populations are hit hard. Access to quality land becomes impossible. New hunters especially end up quitting. It’s there for the world to see!!!! MI is perhaps one of the best examples. (Or MN, WI, etc etc). Huge expanses of habitat. Long tradition of hunting. Previously massive deer populations…. They let special interests push every stupid Reg through “more opportunities for hunters!!!” Crossbows, straight wall catridges, aggressive doe permit allocations, increased season lengths, new seasons, etc. YOU NAME IT- THEY ADDED IT!!!! 20-ish years - lets call it 23 years…. So, since 2000…. They have lost 1/3rd of their deer hunters.
Admittedly - It’s never been managed well but the serious hunters of that state locked every Frigin drop of land up in response to the madness. Areas open to folks get ravaged & ruined to this day. Age class sucks. Many serious hunters leave the state for deer hunting in better managed states.
Look to a half dozen states that have done the same garbage - now we have the data…. It’s ruined them. It’s not done exactly what was sold to people “OPPORTUNITY” …. It’s ruined it. Some like that there’s less hunters…. & i understand what drives that desire. But- they have pushed out the young passionate hunters that could have been great stewards of the resource, managed the herd & passed hunting on later in their life. Or the reality: it just pushes more guys to the available average land that gets overcrowded & ruined- even while hunter #’s decline. It’s a failed broken model we see across country. Now we have 20 years of data on it. Complete train-wreck.
& when states like MO have 75%+++ of hunters voicing & anchoring opinion of “no, we don’t want crossbows for able bodied folks during archery” & the corrupt politicians & special interests push it through anyways…. For $…. That’s called SELLING YOUR VOTERS OUT! Or straight up corrupt political BS we are tired of!!!! Most states have been raped & pillaged for decades. Iowa hasn’t or not near to the degree of any of the others. Won’t happen. Over my dead body are they gonna sell us out & ruin this last great state!!!!

& yes, specifically iowa hunters- we overwhelmingly don’t want crossbows in archery for able bodied. Leave em in own season & for seniors, disabled & injured. This fragile state ain’t for sale. Our kids that want reasonable access to quality archery land aren’t getting thrown out on street because Ravin paid for the lobbyists & the politicians to over-ride the citizens!!!

& sorry for highjacking your post & going on rant not regarding what u said! ;). I agree with your post.
Disagree with what the trend has been for what hunters have had to accept for decades now. Sucks. But great post & sorry on the highjacking of it. :)

Are Xbows allowed during shotgun or muzzy season (lesser weapon) ?

I guess what I’m wondering does anyone know someone who just loves the Xbow so much they would rather use that over a gun ?

And I’m with ya skip. I’ll die on this hill. No Xbows during archery season for abled bodies.

Are Xbows allowed during shotgun or muzzy season (lesser weapon) ?

I guess what I’m wondering does anyone know someone who just loves the Xbow so much they would rather use that over a gun ?

And I’m with ya skip. I’ll die on this hill. No Xbows during archery season for abled bodies.
You can use them during late muzzy. Only benefit over a muzzy is sound and recoil.

When hunters go out and no longer see deer let alone harvest one hunter participation drops!! Who would like going hunting in some of the poorly managed states and see norhing???? Trust me it happens!!!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom