Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Eye's

Buckhunter

Just wondering what everyone does when shooting,do you shoot both eyes open or one eye open.
What are the advantage's or disadvantages.

I have to close my left eye because I'm very left eye dominant, but I'm more comfortable shooting right handed.

When I spot a deer moving towards me I raise my bow. Once he is close to my comfortable shooting distance I draw back the string and sight thru my peep sight. I then keep both eyes open while the deer is moving into my shooting lane. I seem to be able to see the deer’s location as it pertains to my shooting lane better using both eyes. However, just prior to the shot I close my left eye.

Like Kat, I'm right-handed but left eye dominant. It took me awhile, but I've trained my right eye to take over when looking through my peep. I've found that I shoot better if I can keep both eyes open.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to close my left eye because I'm very left eye dominant, but I'm more comfortable shooting right handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO for me.

I started out shooting with only my right eye open, but have worked very hard on keeping both eyes open while shooting. I does make a huge difference I think.

Like Supertec I used to always shoot one eye closed. Sometimes with both eyes closed
grin.gif

Here's something I figured out and it's helped my shooting immensely. You can squint your off eye without closing it completely. By doing this you can make your weak eye the dominant eye.

I shoot with both eyes open it seems to help see everything a little better. It takes a little bit to get use to but if you can do it I would suggest it.

I like to shoot with both eyes open unless the light doesn't work out. Then once in awhile I have to close one. I think with two open you have a better idea of what is going on. You can pick up on deer's body language better. But, whatever works best for you is what you should do.

With my compound, using pins, I shoot with one eye (right) open. However, with my recurve, I shoot more by instinct/reflex and keep both eyes open. (I'm right-handed, right-eye dominant).

Threebeards

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. In years past I have alsways closed my left eye. This year I have taught myself to close my left eye, acquire the target, then open both. For some reason my left eye doesn't take over and I shoot much better. I had a friend put a poor hit on a good 10 pointer because the deer was very close. With his left eye closed, the deer filled the peep sight and he didn't notice when the deer took a couple steps forward. Luckily the deer was recovered. Shooting with both eyes open makes a world of difference.

Top Bottom