Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall clover seeding rate

I've read the clover section by dbltree but I'm confused. Whats the seeding rate in lbs/acre for a fall clover plot? Will going heavy hurt the plot or have no effect other than wasting seed? Thanks STEVE

Alsike, 7-8. Ladino, 2-4. More doesn't hurt. Just go to the welters website and they give the rates for all there seed.

The only thing to consider if you're over-seeding is, if you are mixing stuff together, say white clover and alf-alfa, if you put a ton of white clover seed it will choke out alf-alfa, white clover is nasty aggressive. You'll just end up with a white clover stand when you could have saved money either not used the alf-alfa OR use proper rates on whites.

Dbltree saw an example of this on my farm the other day, I overseeded whites on a couple acres that I also put 20 lbs of alf-alfa, it was a struggle to find alf-alfa, here's picture of supposedly a 1/2 alf-alfa and have white clover mix (pretty much white clover now).
FoodPlot4.JPG

http://www.thedeerhunt.com/FoodPlot3.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused. Whats the seeding rate in lbs/acre for a fall clover plot? Will going heavy hurt the plot or have no effect other than wasting seed? </div></div>

Everyone has already given you all the right answers /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Just to clarify a little more, spring or fall the seeding rate is the same. Frost seeding in the winter time one might use more because germination rates can vary.

If you till and plant properly (till, roll, seed and roll to cover)then germination rates are very high so less seed is needed.

What if you plant more? It will just be thicker then "hair on a dogs back" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif White clover actually spreads via stolons which is why it thickens up so much the second year.

So seeding heavier won't hurt anything (we've all done it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

Is it "wasting" our money?...(just don't tell my wife... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

4#'s of alice white clover is plenty, red clover and alfalfa have higher seeding rates as Skip mentioned up to 20# per acre, depending on if it's a mix or stand alone. Welters seeding rates are pretty accurate /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom