Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall clover

TimberPig

I need to replant my tiny 1/8th acre clover plot that sits down in my timber. I tried the RUP method this spring and the clover came back, but so did the grass and weeds.

I've never planted clover in the fall, so what time frame should I try to plant? Also, I want to plant either oats or rye as a cover, any preference there? The deer will eat either one, but is one better for the clover than the other?

I had great success last year with fall clover. I planted on August 9th.

I sprayed, waited two weeks, then I disked, broadcast a mix of winter wheat, rye, and oats. Disked it in lightly. Rolled it. Broadcast the clover and rolled again.

It was a great fall attractant and the clover stand was excellent the next spring. Just had to mow.

Fall clover can be hit and miss dependant upon rainfall.

Worst case, over seed/ frost seed in March if you don't get the needed rain this Fall.

I'm planning to do my first tilling tommorw to take down the weeds. I'm thinking maybe planting around Sept 1st if the weather looks good?

A thought... don't tear up your plot now as long as you also have decent clover mixed in with the weeds, just frost seed more clover this coming spring to "dense up" your clover stand and help the clover out compete the weeds. Then clip the weeds once or twice next spring or summer and/or spray with Poast or Select.

Too late!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm planning to do my first tilling tommorw to take down the weeds. I'm thinking maybe planting around Sept 1st if the weather looks good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would actually plant a little earlier, maybe around August 15-20. Just my opinion, that is when I am going to plant clover.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never planted clover in the fall, so what time frame should I try to plant? Also, I want to plant either oats or rye as a cover, any preference there? The deer will eat either one, but is one better for the clover than the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

You done good TP...right now thru early August is when I have always seeded either clover or alfalfa.

Planting this early I would use oats.

A later August planting would be better for a food plot of oats or rye but the clover itself will do better if planted earlier.

As Ghost mentioned...rain is a big factor but some moisture rolling thru right now should help.

Miss "talking" with you guys..

Sounds good, I think I'll try to get it in as soon as the weather allows. Its too damp right now and this plot holds moisture well.

So let me throw in another thing. I was down at Buck Hollow today and I picked up some Purple top turnips and some Austrian winter peas. I intend to include a little of both along with the clover, just for the heck of it to see what happens. Never planted turnips or AWP's before. Am I still ok adding some oats as long as I dont go to heavy with them, or will the oats crowd out my turnips and AWP? Or will the turnips and AWP's crowd out my clover?

I can broadcast the turnips into my bean plot instead if they will be a problem in a new clover plot. I'm guessing the AWP's need to be tilled in so they will have to go into the clover plot.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Top Bottom