Fall Plantings?

SWBUCKHNTR

Ok so here is my scenario. I started managing a farm about 2 hours away from where I live. This spring I went down and drilled about 15 acres of clover and planted about 35 acres of corn in a few different spots. I got that planted one weekend and left the drill down there with my beans in the grain box calibrated and ready to go for the next weekend. I got back planted the 25 acres of beans and sprayed and left town. Now everything was done right so nothing to worry about right. Well I get home put everything away and feel proud of myself for doing a good job. It is about a month or so before I get back down only to find out that somehow some way all of my bean plots were full of brome grass it had choked out the beans and was too late for me to do anything else. The landowner beside this farm was very upset when he didnt get the bid for it and my only guess is that he is the one who would do this. So after all that now I am wondering what to put in those areas this fall so I can still have a food plot there. Thanks for any help.

I would think at this point rye grain and oats might be your only option and perhaps the second best late season draw. Clover is an option but will be small this fall and a waste, especially if you want it in grain next year and would till up in the spring. Rye should grow as even I can get that stuff to come up /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif 25 acres at 1 bushel of rye grain per acre will run you about $400 bucks. Sorry to hear about the plot but you still have time.

Sorry to hear that. That sucks.

I just got done planting a combo of rye, oats and peas this past weekend. I also put clover in there for next spring which I will plow under for next fall's brassicas.
Good luck and hope it work out for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">somehow some way all of my bean plots were full of brome grass it had choked out the beans and was too late for me to do anything else. </div></div>

The soys weren't RR beans?? Were the fields in crops previously or was it in sod? Just curious...weeds and grasses are easy to control in RR beans.

I just disced mine under simply because deer had eaten them to the point of no return and will be planting rye and oats.

Perfect timing to do it anytime thru Labor Day weekend and oats and rye are very inexpensive to plant.

If brome is a problem I would consider nuking it with roundup this weekend and then tilling it under and replanting the next weekend.

I doubt if any one " sabotaged" your beans...the brome was most likely there and was never killed. It will stay there and keep coming back if you don't nuke it and kill it for good. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">somehow some way all of my bean plots were full of brome grass it had choked out the beans and was too late for me to do anything else. </div></div>
I doubt if any one " sabotaged" your beans...the brome was most likely there and was never killed. It will stay there and keep coming back if you don't nuke it and kill it for good. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
They were RR beans but by the time I got back down there it was late july and the brome had taken over and yes it was corn last year and I know somebody put the brome in my drill because it was all planted in nice little rows just like the beans were supposed to be. It just erks me that somebody would have the balls to do that.

Well...nuthin' to do now but get er killed and move on to something better. Rye, triticale and oats..you won't be sorry, in fact maybe he did you a favor... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

p.s...if you think of it...snap a pic of that "brome"...just wondering if it could be ryegrass? Gosh...either way it would expensive to put 35 acres worth of seed in somebodies drill... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

If it was sod previously, I would say that the brome just came up. Brome grass is the hardest of grasses to control with round up. Downy brome especially. I have seen brome in soybean fields many times, and it does become invasive if not taken care of early.

Lots of good suggestions here , should have you taken care of. Was this a no till drill ? If so , is it possible the drill exposed the grass seeds that were buried underneath , thus following the rows ?

Yeah it was a no till I wouldnt think that would be the case because it has been corn for the last 3 years. The reason I know he put something in is when I got home I cleaned the grain box out because that is what I was using and noticed seed in in that I hadnt put there but didnt think it was that big of a deal maybe a little residue from earlier in the year. So I didnt use the drill at all and when I got back from checking plots I looked in the fluffy box and the small seed box and they still had a little bit of what looked like a pasture mix left in them. So I am guessing he took whatever he had laying around or whatever it was and filled every box on the drill with it.

Back