Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall turkey bow tactics.

Danno

PMA Member
I have never hunted fall turkey but have a tag in my pocket in case one came by the bow stand. I have a question on tactics. I notice that they are grouped up now, but I also noticed a single hen yelping when I was deer hunting the other night. Sounded like she was lost. Here's the scenerio. There is a field where I have seen them feeding in the evening. If I set a ground blind in this field with a feeding hen decoy and yelp like that lost hen, are there any prospects of coaxing a curious turkey into bow range? Any other tactics that might be workable?

Watch that flock and then spook the hell out of them. They will scatter all over the place. Walk 100-150 yards in the direction that most of the birds went and sit down. Do the "kee kee" call and chances are you'll call a lost bird right into your lap. If you don't have a portable ground blind this'll be tough though. You might get lucky on the field edge, stay still, quiet, and warm!

I was actually lucky enough to call (yelping) in 7 birds the day after Thanksgiving, but unfortnatley not lucky enough to harvest one. I saw the birds walking up along a ridge and started yelping at them and they eventually worked their way down to me.
I agree with muddy's tactics, too. They are in big flocks now so you should be able to call some in with the kee-kee & possibly some yelping (which would probably bring the younger birds in).

Top Bottom