Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fallen Trees

eiowaarcher

I had a storm blow through my property this summer knocking down a bunch of trees. Of course most of them landed very near or on the fence and need to be moved to repair the fence. I am thinking about using some of these trees to block off certain trails creating a tighter funnel going into the clover/row crop field. Also thinking about trying to create more bedding with them on the ridge top where most of them are. What would you guys do? What have you had luck with?

Clean them up near the fence ...,create trails within the fallen mess and and leave plenty to create bedding.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an entire oak ridge wiped out, trees down blocking entire valleys and trees fallen over major trails. I'm going to go in and funnel the deer the way I want them to go. I'm going to cut the centers out of some of the tree tops to create bedding areas. I shot my deer early November on another farm. Out of boredom, I trimmed some of the fallen trees opening up an inside corner and put a camera one it out of curiosity. In the first 3 weeks of November I got pics of 23 different bucks using the trail I cleared out. It's crazy how they they took to it. I'm excited to play a little more with my chainsaws early this spring. Good luck.

I did 39 acres of TSI on my farm. The cut area is a mess. I plan to do what you guys are talking about. This spring I'll cut through all of the trees lying on the ground and create trails. I also use a Stihl webwacker with a saw blade attached to clear briers, etc to make trails more deer friendly. Have done it in the past and it worked great. Good luck on your work.

A chainsaw and a bunch of less desirable trees can sure turn a farm around!
When you can dictate where the deer will come through it sure makes stand placement and shot opportunities increase 10 fold.
If any of you folks are on facebook i highly recommend checking out advanced whitetail systems. They have some videos on youtube as well it it gives you an idea of what they are doing and why. Great group of people and they have also killed a few good bucks over the yrs haha

Ive looked and looked and i cannot find any of the videos that used to be up.
There is a decent one that is posted by realtree farms. White bearded older fella with the small 201 t stihl. Will give you a basic idea.
If anyone is wondering about the AWS clan, and habit improvement I highly suggest stopping by their booth at the classic. Great group of folks

Top Bottom