Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Farm Bureau:

loneranger

As a side note, Just heard on the Radio this Morn, the number one concern for the Iowa FB, is getting more immigration here for the Farm Labor market. Second, is probably still gettin rid of those Dang Deer!

As a side note, Just heard on the Radio this Morn, the number one concern for the Iowa FB, is getting more immigration here for the Farm Labor market. Second, is probably still gettin rid of those Dang Deer!

Soooooo, they are saying they are not already here!! :mad:

Who supports these crooks?!?! If you listen to anything they lobby for, it's the most "self centered" garbage that I guarantee they know is "wrong" deep down BUT it somehow puts their interests forward and a few more dollars their way. I don't blame them for lobbying for their own interests but I also don't blame the citizens of Iowa from trying to stop them every step of the way & vote out the crooked politicians that are in bed with them.

Who supports these crooks?!?! If you listen to anything they lobby for, it's the most "self centered" garbage that I guarantee they know is "wrong" deep down BUT it somehow puts their interests forward and a few more dollars their way. I don't blame them for lobbying for their own interests but I also don't blame the citizens of Iowa from trying to stop them every step of the way & vote out the crooked politicians that are in bed with them.

Citizens united was a crappy decision, we need to ban money and lobbyists. Voters should matter...not $.

It's called politics. They do good things also, example: last week a district court judge in Carroll County ruled the State Electrical Board was over stepping its bounds requiring farmers to have all repairs and new installations to there facilities subject to inspections. It was just another way for a state/government entity to get our money and onto our property. Call/write Farm Bureau and let them know your stand on deer populations, they'll listen.

It's called politics. They do good things also, example: last week a district court judge in Carroll County ruled the State Electrical Board was over stepping its bounds requiring farmers to have all repairs and new installations to there facilities subject to inspections. It was just another way for a state/government entity to get our money and onto our property. Call/write Farm Bureau and let them know your stand on deer populations, they'll listen.

You honestly think so?? :eek:

They have had tons of letteres and emails over the last

4 - 5 years telling them that. Their lobbyists are in the same committees

as the IBA and DNR and they still want more deer eliminated.

If your a law maker comparing the two interests of the state, deer hunting vs agriculture, you have to ask yourself what venue creates the most jobs, revenue ,over all good for our citizens as a whole? Hands down agriculture. Neither Farm Bureau or the State of Iowa is eliminating the herd just downsizing. I agree with everyone here the downsizing is too much but you can see how it has progressed to this point.

If your a law maker comparing the two interests of the state, deer hunting vs agriculture, you have to ask yourself what venue creates the most jobs, revenue ,over all good for our citizens as a whole? Hands down agriculture. Neither Farm Bureau or the State of Iowa is eliminating the herd just downsizing. I agree with everyone here the downsizing is too much but you can see how it has progressed to this point.

The herd reduction size was at its numbers last year.
This was voiced unto deaf ears.

You might want to look into the amount of money that deer hunting brings in. The numbers may surprise you on the amount of revenue it brings in.

No doubt we generate a large amount of revenue ourselves but not much compared to the ag sector. Our state does a tremendous job maintaining a good mature buck population with our limited gun seasons except the anterless late season, which has translated into our states reputation as the place to hunt. Folks like us will continue to hunt no matter how challenging and our big buck rep will continue to sell out of state tags. Just continue fighting the battle and we'll see what happens, it'll come back around our way eventually.

No doubt we generate a large amount of revenue ourselves but not much compared to the ag sector. Our state does a tremendous job maintaining a good mature buck population with our limited gun seasons except the anterless late season, which has translated into our states reputation as the place to hunt. Folks like us will continue to hunt no matter how challenging and our big buck rep will continue to sell out of state tags. Just continue fighting the battle and we'll see what happens, it'll come back around our way eventually.

Jobs and revenue are important, without a doubt. What about quality of life issues like the following which modern ag has a negative effect on
1. Nutrition...corn based products have been consistently shown to be less nutritious for human consumption than other plant source. You want fat cattle, feed em corn, you want fat people, feed em cheetos, fritos, corn based goods.
2. Water quality...look at the DNR report, our water sucks from manure runoff, to tile lines giving direct access to nitrates, runoff from no filter strips or CRP
3. Air quality....love watching the roundup almost hit the ground, then the wind blowing it across the highway into my yard. Kicks ass.
4. Who doesn't love a black desert?
5. Loss of wildlife habitat and declining populations of gamebirds, small game, and even deer
6. Ethanol is pretty ineffective, but hey, farmers benefit, so don't knock it.
7. Did I mention how god damned ugly it's gotten...no hedgerows, filter strips, crp, waterways, etc. Just dirt. Even better when they do fall chiseling.
8. There will be a bubble....we will all end up paying for it..hooray.
9. Dust bowl.....maybe that will end the insane greed.

I'm not a tree hugging hippie...and I know we need ag...but this shiite is crazy. It's nothing but lust for money. It cost the US during the Dust bowl. We had a boom in wheat, all the acres got raped. Same thing today. We will all bail em out though, too big to fail.

You might want to look into the amount of money that deer hunting brings in. The numbers may surprise you on the amount of revenue it brings in.

The DNR says deer hunting annually generates $137 million, has a $214 million economic impact and supports 2,838 jobs in Iowa. It also generates $15 million in federal tax revenue and another $14.7 million in state taxes, the department said.
Production agriculture and ag-related industries directly and indirectly employ one of every six Iowans (or 17 percent of the state’s workforce), based on 2007 Census of Agriculture data. They also are responsible for adding $72.1 billion to the state’s economy, or 27 percent of the state’s total. This represents a 2 percent increase over a previous analysis using 2002 Census of Agriculture data.

IowaChiro, nice to see someone who appears to have a bit of a longer vision. I agree with most of your comments. Farming has become a "big business" that in many ways operates just like some of the wall street entities---bottom line driven with disregard for anything else. We need more of a long term, sustainable focus on some things. I understand agriculture is the backbone of this state, support that fact, and would love to see it remain that way. I also look at how much soil we send down our rivers every year, the destruction of our local ecosystems and the lack of consideration for the effects our choices will have on future generations--all for the almighty dollar. There needs to be a balance somewhere, and I only wish I was smart enough to know where that might be.

How much ground do you own? Are you from California?

From Iowa. Family farms 600 acres. I care because my kids and I drink water in Iowa, and because my greatest memories growing up are of bird dogs working coveys and roosters. Access to land with deer and birds was pretty easy in the 80's and late 90's. But you're right, caring about nitrates in our ground water makes me a hippie.

Last edited:
I say we over regulate farming in the this country, like we do every other lucrative business, take the money out of it, import all of our produce from other countries, put thousands of families out of work; while blaming the Republican party for the alleged problems. Sounds like a plan.

Top Bottom