Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Farm input

Looking for input on how to best set up my farm. I've been reading through the posts in Doubletree's corner and this has given me a wealth of information. So many possibilities that I'm having a hard time settling on a strategy.

Below are two images, the first is a closeup of my farm, the second is the surronding area. The yellow line is the property border. The orange line is a sanctuary that the neighbor to the east and I have established and agreed upon. The purple line is an area of the property that I am unsure how to best utilize. Finally, I've outlined three food plots in green.

Everything you see as tilled is currently corn stubble. Plot A is approximately 1.5 acres, Plot B is 2 acres and currently overgrown weeds and Plot c is 4 acres. Plot B is a low area and could see some standing water.

The rest of the tilled ground will be cash rented. I know that I want standing beans and I'm leaning toward utilizing Plot C for this, I would also incorporate DB's method of broadcasting rye/radish, which I think would work perfectly. Could I do this year after year or would that lead to problems/diseases?

The question then is what to do with Plot A and B? Some sort of rotation seems to make sense, but with plot B having potential water issues, what would work?

As far as the purple outline area, what to do about this? It is mature timber with little undergrowth. The deer move through here on an east/west line. I also have a neighbor hunter who has a stand at the very SW corner of the purple outlined area (on his side of the fence). Another neighbor stand is on the north edge of food plot B (again on his side of the fence).

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

picture.php

picture.php

Im sure dbltree and many others can give you some good specific advise for your particular situation.. Nice work on the sanctuary area.. looks to be land locked by water so that should keep intrusions on the low :way:

the problem with multiple foodplots is you can only be in one spot at a time maybe let b grow to some bedding area stuff cedars tall grass etc or plant some oats and rye or clover more suited for bow hunting there and concentrate your efforts in gun season on the big plot. Or you could do what I do and have one big piece that I mix up with different things. This year I had beans, wintergreens {which the deer absolutley love lateseason expensive but worth it} oats and rye grain mixed, and a imperial clover plot which might get tore up this spring. Just a few ideas

Thanks for your input. I've been debating what to do with "Plot B" since I bought the property last year. I've gone back and forth on whether to food plot it or plant switchgrass. I'm not dead set on having three food plots either, just trying to find the right combo.

I can see how having three plots may be frustrating, so perhaps one large plot is best. Why are you considering tearing out your clover?

Thanks for your input. I've been debating what to do with "Plot B" since I bought the property last year. I've gone back and forth on whether to food plot it or plant switchgrass. I'm not dead set on having three food plots either, just trying to find the right combo.

I can see how having three plots may be frustrating, so perhaps one large plot is best. Why are you considering tearing out your clover?
I fell into the Imperial clover thing thinking that it was the best stuff you could plant so I planted one 4 acre field to it and then in my area where I have all the other stuff I planted about an acre and a half of it. Came along great and it's fun to mow in the evenings but it really isn't getting the use I thought it would. I decided this year while muzzeloader hunting that it would probably be more benificial for the deer and my hunting to have more standing crops to help them along through winter. I will leave some of it because they do use it some and I personaly think it is good to have for fawns and nursing does. My best plot this year was a combo of oats and rye grain had a total of about $20 bucks in it deer ate it to dirt might consider that for your small plot with a bow stand on the edge

Looks like a good problem to have. You have a pretty farm that lays out nicely for hunting and managing deer.

I'd probably recommend planting a 30' strip along the west edge of food plot B in clover the entire length of the plot and switchgrass in the remainder. Creates a great bedding area but more importantly it let's you see and hunt the deer as the transition into and out of the switchgrass.

You did not mention who plants the row crops on the remainder of the crop ground. if you plant it yourself i would do one entire field in corn and the other in soybeans and rotate every year. Just leave the "food plot" portion standing at harvest.

If you cash rent you might be able to negotiate the same deal but it is less likely they would plant two different crops on what appears to be a pretty small operation from a farming perspective.

If those options don't work then i would go with brassicas in one field and soybeans in the other. This gives you at least one late season crop and possibly two if they don't destroy the beans in summer.

What is the size of the property?

As stated above, there are many on here more qualified than I am to comment here....but....based on your description of the neighbor's stand on the north side of plot B, I would start building a screen across that north edge, even if it means downsizing the size of the plot.

Any chance of getting a logger into the purple area? I wouldn't worry about the neighbor's stand there if you can get that area thickened up.

How do you access the property? It would be worth putting work into some type of screening to access and leave your plots undetected as well. Some of the coolest hunting properties that I have been on have had much work put into screening their entry / exit routes. Dbltree has touched on this in some of his posts.

Depending on where you are at, I would beg Dbltree or another knowledgable person to walk it with you and make it worth their while with gas money and a steak dinner!;)

Good luck! You are living the dream!!!:way:

Is there any merit to converting Plot B into a thick grassy bedding area and making Plots A-C be the food attractions. If water is a potential issue with Plot B plus the neighbors stand being so close I would think seriously about converting it into a bedding destination and trying to hunt adjacent to it ??

I fell into the Imperial clover thing thinking that it was the best stuff you could plant so I planted one 4 acre field to it and then in my area where I have all the other stuff I planted about an acre and a half of it. Came along great and it's fun to mow in the evenings but it really isn't getting the use I thought it would. I decided this year while muzzeloader hunting that it would probably be more benificial for the deer and my hunting to have more standing crops to help them along through winter. I will leave some of it because they do use it some and I personaly think it is good to have for fawns and nursing does. My best plot this year was a combo of oats and rye grain had a total of about $20 bucks in it deer ate it to dirt might consider that for your small plot with a bow stand on the edge

How big was your oat/rye plot?

Thanks guys, appreciate the input, keep it coming! The property is 40 acres but as you can tell from the surronding area, it hunts much bigger than that. The only access point is the very NW corner, however I can walk in from anywhere on the west fence line. A neighboring landowner cash rents it from me at a bargain rate, so I have some negotiation room with him and at a minimum will have leave plot c in standing beans next year.

I hadn't thought of combining grass and food in plot b. I do like the idea of providing some clover somewhere. I know DBTree has mentioned that a lot goes a long way so maybe a strip on the west edge is a good place for it.

I may be able to get a logger into the purple area. I would need to get the neighbors permission to the south as that is the only way to get in there with equipment.

I would put plot B into Cave In Rock switchgrass. With a smaller piece like that I would try to create as much cover as possible. I would add plot B with the Switch to your sanctuary. Plot C I would put the switchgrass down either side of it and put your corn, beans, or brassicas in the middle with strips of clover between the grass and your food plot. I might even put that back third of the plot in Switch to just to add more cover. Plot A you could do more food if your farmer would leave it in whatever he put in that year. You should be able to still have plenty of food by doing the Switchgrass. Just hunt the edges and you should have a sweet spot.

Last edited:
How big was your oat/rye plot?
probably three quarters of an acre they were still feeding on it when we lost our snow a couple weeks ago I have a tower blind that I hunt out of so I can watch what all they feed on. Beans is a no brainer especialy if you hunt late season I rotate my beans with Imperials wintergreens I might plant some corn this spring only problem with corn is that they can be hard to see in it and it takes a lot of nitrogen I would be putting me up a tower blind of some sort this summer though you will never regret it

I would put plot B into Cave In Rock switchgrass. With a smaller piece like that I would try to create as much cover as possible. I would add plot B with the Switch to your sanctuary. Plot C I would put the switchgrass down either side of it and put your corn, beans, or brassicas in the middle with strips of clover between the grass and your food plot. I might even put that back third of the plot in Switch to just to add more cover. Plot A you could do more food if your farmer would leave it in whatever he put in that year. You should be able to still have plenty of food by doing the Switchgrass. Just hunt the edges and you should have a sweet spot.

Thanks Scott. I've actually thought about lining all the timber edge with CIR switchgrass. After seeing DBTree's posts and pictures, he seems to favor edge as well. Right now my edge is fairly abrupt. Mature timber, ten to fifteen feet of weeds and then crop. I've also contemplated planting apple trees in the terraces on the west side. Not sure if that could work though with ground being farmed around it. Would over spray have the potential to kill my hard work? Would be pretty sweet to have that additional diversity.

Couple quick thoughts here...first....when at all possible shoot for one centralized food source and if more are needed keep then as close as possible.

Second...it's extremely important to plant for year around food sources which means a combination of crops that achieve the end goal.

Don't plant clover in one field and brassicas i another...divide the field and plant ALL the crops needed in each field.

Example....1/3 white clover, 1/3 Brassicas and 1/3 rye/peas/radish/red clover

Another example is corn, soybeans (overseeded) with winter rye and white clover in every odd area possible.

Those combination's enable you to hold deer year around and then adapt them to using the exact same runways year around making them very predictable and easy to kill.

Look at the hinging thread for advice on funneling deer so you only hunt one or two runways instead of a dozen, use Egyptian Wheat to help screen feeding areas so deer will feel safe and use them in daylight hours.

Gotta put the whole thing together...COVER and food..

You have a nice looking farm...you'll have a blast improving it and reaping the rewards as you do...:way:

probably three quarters of an acre they were still feeding on it when we lost our snow a couple weeks ago I have a tower blind that I hunt out of so I can watch what all they feed on. Beans is a no brainer especialy if you hunt late season I rotate my beans with Imperials wintergreens I might plant some corn this spring only problem with corn is that they can be hard to see in it and it takes a lot of nitrogen I would be putting me up a tower blind of some sort this summer though you will never regret it

Funny you should mention tower blinds, as that is the very first project I undertook. Built it in my driveway and then disassembled into sections to transport and reassemble. Worked out better than i expected. I'll see if I can't get a photo uploaded to show you. It is actually located in plot c.

Thanks Paul. Sounds like plot c is where I should concentrate my efforts. Is four acres enough? I guess I'll just have to try it and see, like you said I can add more if necessary. I think the corn then beans with rye over seeded and white clover in odd areas, seems to makes the most sense for my situation as I can get the farmer to plant the beans or corn and handle the clover and rye myself. Would you "edge" the timber with white clover? Would it make sense to put in a layer CIR switchgrass against the timber and then clover?

As for EW, my thought would be to utilize it along the west edge of plot c, that would really close that in and make it more comfortable for them.

I actually put the hinge cutting thread to good use this past weekend. Can't believe the difference that a few hours with a chainsaw can make. Can hardly wait to see what a difference that is going to make, should be a big improvement.

It looks like your area surrounding your farm could hold a high population of deer who will certainly come to your house to eat if you have good stuff.I would bean the 4 acre food plot and do an annual rye +turnips in f/p A for a good hunting plot from early season thru december. B really looks like a great place for switchgrass which thrives in a flood plain enviroment. To solve your open timber,take your chainsaw for a walk and open it up so the sun gets in there and regenerates all that new growth.It won't be pretty to look at for a couple of years but your deer will love you for it. Do use caution to spare any white oaks and other mast bearing trees that are healthy.It also makes it hard to see into your property from the other side of the fence.Good luck,looks like a great piece of property.

It looks like your area surrounding your farm could hold a high population of deer who will certainly come to your house to eat if you have good stuff.I would bean the 4 acre food plot and do an annual rye +turnips in f/p A for a good hunting plot from early season thru december. B really looks like a great place for switchgrass which thrives in a flood plain enviroment. To solve your open timber,take your chainsaw for a walk and open it up so the sun gets in there and regenerates all that new growth.It won't be pretty to look at for a couple of years but your deer will love you for it. Do use caution to spare any white oaks and other mast bearing trees that are healthy.It also makes it hard to see into your property from the other side of the fence.Good luck,looks like a great piece of property.

I'm definitely leaning towards putting B into switch. Your comment about high deer population is exactly why I was thinking three food plots. I have no idea what the right amount of acerage will be. I like dbltree's idea of providing year round food source, the real question is how much is the right mix?

Top Bottom