Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Farm input

I like the shooting house, Does it have heat when I come by for a fall/winter hunt? Does the view down in the bottom to the north have a shot for Turkey/deer crossing that "hope to have" food plot? Now that you seem to have some ideas, when are going to start planting so I can get it on our calandar to help. I am still hoping to locate that old disk, are there other equipment you need for food plots?
You sure have been getting some good advice on setting out the plots on your land.
Shoot straight

I like the shooting house, Does it have heat when I come by for a fall/winter hunt? Does the view down in the bottom to the north have a shot for Turkey/deer crossing that "hope to have" food plot? Now that you seem to have some ideas, when are going to start planting so I can get it on our calandar to help. I am still hoping to locate that old disk, are there other equipment you need for food plots?
You sure have been getting some good advice on setting out the plots on your land.
Shoot straight

A cuLtipacker would be great! Just went out today and killed every silver maple tree I saw in the purple area. Must have killed 50 to 60 of them. Most of them were absolutely huge. Should have a big improvement

A cuLtipacker would be great! Just went out today and killed every silver maple tree I saw in the purple area. Must have killed 50 to 60 of them. Most of them were absolutely huge. Should have a big improvement

Did you hing or cut them down. Are these along the creek? Will that be getting more sunlight into the "turkey" feeding areas. Do you have a plan for new growth or plant materials in that area?

I didn't remember there were so many. Nows a good time to be working on the trees. No bugs or weeds to fight. Be safe with this snow.

I'll talk with some of the guys who visit farm sales. We pheasant hunted yesterday. Lots of birds in deep snow, hard to walk, but did find some old equipment I will check out by Deryl's farm.

silver maple

Did you look into logging the silver maple, they are worth more than one realizes. Every reginal area is different, but if they are big, they should be worth some money...$$ might pay for several years of food plots.

I'd leave plot B alone and let natural succession take its course...it will become a booming bedding(and shedding) area.

As for the SE purple outline timber...some selective harvest of trees will get the needed sunlight to the ground and grow some cover...add in the leftover tree tops and you'll have more undergrowth than you imagine in a few years.

Key to all of this is TIME. You're not going to create a whitetail heaven overnight. Having a one year plan, a two year plan, a five and a ten plan might really benefit ya.

As for the neighbors stands...think about how you'd hunt those stands (wind, time, etc) and try to use that as a way to help them (the neighbors) sway the deer movement, so you hunt your property accordingly. Nothing worse than sitting on a perfect wind in a corner of your property, only to find out there's a guy within a few hundred yards doing the same thing. Just an idea anyway.

Above all, make sure you have fun with it and take lots of pictures to share:way:

Top Bottom