Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite Calls

duckaholic

The season is almost here and I'd like to get my hands on a good set of mouth and slate calls. What are some of your favorite calls?

Well I personaly don't really use mouth calls. I have one that I got many many moons ago and really never used it. But however, my personal favorite call its a sick box call with like five different calls in it at once. My good friend had it when he went with us he used it and it worked very nicely. It has like a boss hen and old gobbler, but there are some like different types of calls on there. I really can't remember them right of the top of my head. But its a sweet call.

-Tyler

Not a big mouth call guy but I use a Lynch's Fool Proof box call. It's old and probably outdated but its been passed down to me and had lotsa success in the past so I use it, however I did get some Woodhaven mouth calls and they are supposed to be pretty good. Now if I could only get them to sound like a hen I'd be in business...

All that I use are mouth calls and box calls. My favorite mouth calls are made by woodhaven custom calls. They are awesome! However, it's really just a preference and what you are comfortable with when you try a mouth call out. I know some people who can make better quality sounds with other types of mouth calls. Jusr buy a few and try them out, and see what you prefer.

For box calls, I use anything made by Quaker Boy.

I've used many different brands of mouth calls and all have been favorites at one time or another: Preston Pittman, Primos, Cannon Country (I reeeally liked these calls but I'm pretty sure they are out of business), H.S. Strut, and Quakerboy (what I am currently using). I haven't used a Wood Haven but have heard good things about them. I may have to get one just to add one more to the pile of calls in my fridge.

For slates I used an Ole Yeller by Knight and Hale (easy to use and sounded great). I found that with slates it is more important to get a good striker. You can get some really good sounding slates and won't be able to get a quality sound from them without changing strikers. Last spring I bought a custom made box and slate from a friend that sounds better than anything off of the shelf. Niether are fancy but do sound great.

favorite calls, there are a few

quaker boy easy yelper, best push pin call out there

quaker boy sweet butternut boat paddle box call.

friction call is a custom made call from kaiser kalls. large glass on one side, smaller slate on the back. i'll try to get pis up later

mouth calls, i've used a ton. quaker boy, h.s. strut gold, but i think the easiest is the primos with the green "sonic dome"

locators, i have one of the first quaker boy gobble shakers, and i'm still searcing for a crow call i like

my truely favorite calls are mine....the ol' voice box makes a better owl hoot than i have ever bought, and makes a pretty good yelp, cluck, cackle, purr and keekee run. the hoot and keekeee carry some good volume, but the others are used as they close in

I may hold off on a Wood Haven, just looked at the prices. $10 a pop! Might have to try the "Value" pack at 3/ $20.

Hey Teeroy, regarding your notes on friction calls - I hope you just have a spell-check problem. If not, spare us any more details.
smirk.gif

here's the glass side
[image]http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/535/1314kaiser-glass-med.bm[/image]

the slate side
[image]http://www.iowawhitetail.com/photopost/data/535/1314kaiser-slate-med.bmp[/image]

Top Bottom