Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite shot size and shell?

G

GunnerJon

What is everyone's favorite shot size and shell out there? I have shot turkeys with 1 & 7/8 oz, 3in., #6's as well as Winchester High Velocity 3in, 1 & 3/4 oz #5's. This year I will be using my new Hastings .665 choke and it patterns best with Winchester High Velocity 3in #6's.

I resisted but bought into Hevi-shot this year at least for a trial. I know every gun/choke shoots different so take this for what it's worth. 3&1/2 in Winchester Super X2 with a Hastings .685 ported choke. At 20 & 40 yards Winchester HV 5's shot identical to Hevi-shot 5's, actually a few more holes in the target because there are more lead shot per oz & the Winchester HV has 2 oz of lead. The edge went to Hevi-shot 6's vs. Winchester HV 6's (slightly). Federal HV 6's shot terrible through my gun/choke combo. I plan to use the 5's- either brand as if I hold it well, there would never be a turkey walk away at that range. Now to nurse this shoulder back to health...

Back when it was legal, I loved to use #2 shot. I always had good patterns with my 870 Rem. Now I have a Browning Gold 3" (3 1/2 inch is overkill in my opinion but whatever trips your trigger) The Gold shoots patterns well with Winchester Supremes #4 shot. This has worked well for me the last three years with great success.

This will be my second turkey hunt. Can't remember what I used to years ago but I got ahold of a Carlson's "Pattern Plus" ported .660" choke tube that is rated for Hevi-Shot. I'll be using 3" #5's this year. We'll see what happens.

Not to say it won't ever happen but I have never lost a bird using 2 3/4 inch shells with #6 shot. Obvioulsly 6's are my favorite. Shot my first with the bow last year, 100 grain mechanical.
biggun.gif

Top Bottom