Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

favorite stories.

B

buckmaster

I just wanted to hear some intresting stories. ive got 2 both are with my brother who is 12 and i am 15. my and my brother headewd out to the woods with my dad during the peak of the rut. my dad put us up in our stands. (this was my brothers first year so i offered to sit with him today so i could help "guide him" ahaha) well the morning started neat with turkeys all around us. then we hear the leaves rustle up the trail, ITS A BUCK! i told him. i said i was going to take him if i got a chance. and taylor leans over to me and asks "can i pleae shoot at the doe," i about cracked out laughing. i managed to keep my mouth shut. and then a doe walk right in his shooting lane. i grunted and she stopped. he made a perfect shoot. right after he shoots and watches her run off he lets out a war whoop like ive never heard. we tracked her. radioed my dad and we all went out to breakfast to celebrate!!! the next year it was the same situation but it was my turn. sorry so long

Lot's of stories here. Here's one of my favorites. The main property I hunt I've been on for allmost 20 years. I lost it for a period of 2 years due to a stupid hunting partner...ex now... and the land owner had hired a land mananger who hunted. Long story short, The first time I hunted it after the 2 year absence, I shot a buck on opening day. I hadn't even had time to scout it. I got my second tag and was back 3 days later. It was raining so I really wasn't planning on shooting anything but I wanted to sit on the ground by the river to see if the deer were still crossing where they had in years past. I was in some tall grass next to the river on a minor trail that paralleled the river. My bow was laying on the ground. I looked down river and here came a buck on a run towards me. His tongue was hanging out so I assumed he had been running a long time. As I wondered what had spooked him I realized he was heading right at me. I had just enough time to think, Damn, this is going to hurt! Thankfully he jumped. One of his legs hit me in the head knocking my hat off! I vowed to get him and I did 3 weeks later. It was funny at the time but this happened before I realized how important it is to let people know where you are hunting. If he wouldn't have jumped I could of gotten hurt bad and nobody knew where I was at. Thanks for the good question. Let's here some more. Jay

How about the 1st deer I ever shot ? I think it was my 3rd year of bow hunting(1979 or 1980), and I had passed up some opportunities at does each year because I was determined to shoot a buck. Well, one morning I got to my stand too early and actually fell asleep in my tree waiting for it to get light(lucky I did not fall out). I was awakend by the sound of splashing water, and when I looked behind me there was a buck standing in shallow water on the other side of the river taking a drink. I was worried that if I shot him he would surely run the other way and I would have a heck of a time finding a place to cross the river then if I found him I'd have to drag him back to my side (there was no access on the other side for 1/2 mile). Well I shot him anyway with a good double lung hit. He took off in a sprint to my side of the river and climbed up a steep 15' river bank and ran about another 30 yards where I saw him colapse right next to a fence line along a field road. I couldn't believe it, he was so obliging. He woke me up, gave me a perfect 15 yd broadside shot, then ran across the river and died where I could see him and only 6 feet from a place I could drive to with my old ford LTD. He was only a 5 point (no brow tines), but I was very proud of him. Here it is 23 years and probably 50+ deer later and he still sticks out in my mind very clearly. Nothing like that 1st deer.

IaCraig

Top Bottom