Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite & worst game you have eaten

H

hunting170

After reading the "what have you ate?" thread, I was wondering what everyone liked the best and what they would never eat again. Personally I would try just about anything (even sky carp) if it is marinated in Allegro Hot & Spicy, and grilled outdoors.

Elk is absolutely the best game meat I have eaten, with buffalo a close second. I eat lots of deer, turkeys, and game birds and like them all. Walleyes are hard to beat but fresh caught trout come closest. Worst thing would be coots or merganzers, ugh!

Best: Barbeque bear ribs

Worst: Antelope. Just couldn't seem to shake that God-awful smell.

NWBuck

Another great question! I think it depends alot upon game care and food preperation skills because I've had excellent and terrible meals of the same specie. I don't have one favorite so here are my top and bottom groups.

Best: Elk, cougar, warthog, fresh walley and crappie.

Worst: Coot, ostrich, mopany worm and sea food that isn't fresh.

Elk is the best I have ever had also, you can't beat fresh butter fried deer tenderloin with a touch of pepper.

I have heard great things about wild sheep. It was Fred Bears Alaskan Guides favorite meat.

As for bad meat, Canadian geese always seem to taste bad to me.

Elk and whitetail backstraps rank at the top for me. The absolute worst is a tossup between prairiedogs or chubs. The prairiedogs were slow cooked in a crock pot and tasted like grass flavored mush. A friend of mine and I were camping and decided to try the chubs as that's all we were catching. On a stick over the fire. Just plain gross!
shocked.gif

My fav is the inner loins off a yearling doe injected with some A1 steak sauce and lowry's seasoning salt grilled to medium rare perfection.

My least favorite was that big june bug I swallowed while riding my bike down a hill one summer. Ugh.

I love to catch Crappie, dress them, and eat them the same day, lightly breaded and fried. YUMMY!

The grossest game animal I ever tried to eat was a Shoveler, BLECH! Mergansers aren't much better.

Old Buck,

You didn't have good Iowa deer on your list.

I have not had any cougar but have heard it to be the best.

My list goes :Nilgai, Iowa deer , Elk and I prefer Northern Pike but they gotta be big ones.

Best game I've ever had was turkey breasts. We dressed it very soon after it was shot and had the breasts in a oven in a pan with some butter and seasoning. 20 minutes later was one of the most tender, tasty meals I've ever had. Two other turkeys that I've taken were frozen and then done on the grill, one for Easter and the other for Thanksgiving. Both were the best two turkey's I've ever had as well.

The worst was some domestic duck. After a few bites, we tossed it. One of the bucks I shot at peak rut didn't taste so well either. We tossed out most of the meat from that guy after more than a few bad meals.

Favorites are deer and catfish, least favorite thing i tried, snowgoose breast, yuck!!!!
shocked.gif

Horst,
Take your snow goose breast and make goose sausage. Just like deer summer sausage. It's great, and you can just keep smashing those sky carp and not worry about what you're going to do with them.
It's unbelievably good.
Pupster

Thats a good idea pupster.Another thing I do is save them up till I get a bag full.Run em through the meatsaw, marinate em for a couple days and make goose jerkey.It seems to take a lotta the bad taste out and there a great snack, it just takes so many to make a good batch of jerkey

I'm pretty sure I won't eat another pigeon. Actually, I'm positive. The best wild game for me is a T-loin from a whitetail, with just a bit of seasoning, and grilled just right.

Favorite goodies to eat: Fried tenderloin and morels. YUM. Also shark,swordfish,and fresh tuna. Grouse is also excellent, don't know if you guy's have grouse around there but they are good. Buffalo is also good, we have several buffalo farms close by and they get together and have a fall festival, always during early bowseason though. Fried rattlesnake is very tasty. Try it.

Top Bottom