Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Feed deer

Wildturkey 2

With all the deep snow & ice at first layer should a person feed the deer or not . This is going to set the pheasants population back & it was just getting better & afraid with the few quail we got left will all but be gone but a few .

I set up a feeder for the first time yesterday, but ran out of daylight before I got it filled. Still have 1.5 acres of standing corn and close to 4 acres of standing beans so I think what deer we have left will be ok, at least I hope.

I set up a feeder for the first time yesterday, but ran out of daylight before I got it filled. Still have 1.5 acres of standing corn and close to 4 acres of standing beans so I think what deer we have left will be ok, at least I hope.
I didn’t get any feed out unfortunately. But got turnips & radishes lots of them they will have to dig down but they will. The neighbor still has standing corn so they should be alright. Didn’t think would get this bad .

We have an acre of standing corn and 4ac brassicas the deer are digging down to. May roll out an alfalfa bale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My yard plot tonight. Deer were frantically digging for giant turnip bulbs.
1000092141.jpg
1000092143.jpg

Last edited:
Alfalfa with corn or beans .. I’ve had good luck ! & a good spot to drop a shed !

Last edited:
I’m looking for small square alfalfa bales with no luck. Seems that is a dying business here. Been running 2 feeders with mixed feed since September. Plan to keep em full through March at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m looking for small square alfalfa bales with no luck. Seems that is a dying business here. Been running 2 feeders with mixed feed since September. Plan to keep em full through March at least.

I found some on fb market place. I’d have trailer- big round bales & big square bales nice too.

Unsure where you are- we bale every year but in north central iowa. Extreme north.

Ask your local salebarn because this time of year they might have a person who brings hay to the sale barn to sell.

We have a calf there to sell next week. Dad is going to ask them on Monday. Excellent idea!

Where at in sw iowa?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Page county
It’s my SiL that has them. PM me for his #

Anyone else that’s interested, just PM me, says he has plenty.

His description:
Alfalfa square bales for sale it’s all 4th cutting. Did not get rained on. Very good quality. Perfect for horses asking $8 a bale. Bales are wire tied

Anybody have a good rule of thumb for how many small alfalfa bales a guy should put out. I have a remote farm that i don’t get to very often and my foodplot is about out of food. If there are 20 deer hitting it regularly, how many alfalfa bales should i put out to get them thru a couple weeks?

Anybody have a good rule of thumb for how many small alfalfa bales a guy should put out. I have a remote farm that i don’t get to very often and my foodplot is about out of food. If there are 20 deer hitting it regularly, how many alfalfa bales should i put out to get them thru a couple weeks?
For two weeks 12 to fifteen

Ask your local salebarn because this time of year they might have a person who brings hay to the sale barn to sell.

Called em and they had some in back that were several years old. He said if I fed the few head they had there, I could have a few. They were alright as they had been shedded the whole time.
843869de57d5c7df62460e5d9f1f3cfd.jpeg

Top Bottom