Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fellow Sportsman

OneCam

If you are not a resident of Iowa and you visit this site regularly you probably posses the following traits:

#1 - You are in the upper echelon of whitetail hunters - your obsession with whitetails, mature bucks, conservation and ethics have steered you here.

#2 - You are probably thick skinned, so to speak, as this site at times is a hot bed for Iowa non-resident hunting regulations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1, our passion for the hunting whitetails, brings us all together no matter the state or country we are from. Yet controversy of Iowa non-resident hunting regulations all to often alienates members not residing in Iowa.

Iowa by comparison to it's neighboring states concerning non-resident hunting regulations and resident hunters territorialism is not construed as friendly. I'll be the first to admit this and apologize for alienating anyone - especially on this site. Yet these very same rules, expressions etc are the reason that Iowa has world-class whitetail hunting and available land access.

Non-resident Iowa tag allocation doesn’t meet its demand and many great people are turned away each year. It’s hard to explain or justify to a landowner that he can’t hunt his own land. It’s hard to tell a father that his son can’t come home and hunt with the family every year. It’s just plain hard to tell a fellow sportsman “NOâ€. Yet these regulations and tag allocations are the core reasons that we still have readily available land access compared to other states. It’s these regulations and tag allocations that still make it affordable to purchase land within Iowa’s boundaries. It’s these regulations and tag allocations that provide us with world-class whitetail hunting and this is why they are so sacred to the majority of Iowa hunters.

We discuss Iowa hunting issues here and because of so much controversy concerning our tag allocations etc at this time of the year the term “non-residents†is thrown around loosely. I myself am guilty of this as I created the “Temptation Tag†which understandably doesn’t sit well with some. For this I’m sorry as my goal was not to offend (ie open mouth insert foot) but to help reform the current regulations – sorry to all for that statement. I guess my point overall is that it is tough to discuss these issues without making people feel alienated, however the Iowawhitetail staff will do it’s best at making everyone feel at home.

You are a fellow Sportsman and deserve that respect. Stay thick skinned
grin.gif
and I’ll leave you with our Mission statement.

Iowawhitetail – Iowa’s information resource for whitetail deer

At Iowawhitetail.com, it is our mission to promote, protect and maintain the integrity of hunting, provide timely and accurate information for hunters and outdoor enthusiasts everywhere while creating an environment that is friendly and educational for all members of our outdoor community.

Thanks Chris, I have to admit all this non-resident talk kinda of made me feel like an outcast but it is people like you and some others on this site that step up when they think they were out of line and corrected themselves. I appreciate your honesty and sincerity. Thanks again.
waytogo.gif

OneCam - I imagine my previous (NR's)post is the cause of your post and I must tell you I can only echo what's already been said - your honesty, intergrity and dedication to this site are very much appreciated.

After I made the post I just referred to, I wondered if I wasn't really the one who "opened mouth wide and inserted foot". NR bashing was undoubtedly a rather strong choice of words. I was just beginning to get the sense that there was alot of tension building. I was somewhat uneasy which is why I rarely made any posts here.

What's really important in all of this is exactly what you entitled this post "Fellow Sportsman". We are all in this together and should be standing up for each other because I can promise you no one else will. Even though they come into play, State or County lines should'nt divide us.

As a non-resident who grew up there, sure I have a problem with the way the laws and restrictions are set up, but at the same time, as a wildlife biologist I understand them and even more importnatly, because of the way I was raised, I will abide by them. That was never the issue.

There are alot of opinions expressed on this site, not all are going to set well with everyone and thats as it should be I guess.

Thanks again OneCam for the way you handle things here and for everything you do to make this site what it is.

hcsafari, I actually started that post early this morning, prior to your post. I too could feel the "tension" building and I certainly didn't feel comfortable starting that.

Thank you for sharing your view points and for sharing them constructively. That's what makes this site such a great place to visit.

I really don't have an interest in hunting Iowa, who knows, maybe someday. I frequently visit this site because of all the knowledge that is shared and friendly people. If there is one place in the states that offers a high density of mature bucks compared to others this is the state and a mature buck is about as hard to hunt as, well its the hardest to pursue and pattern. I've learned so much from my fellow sportsmen here about hunting mature bucks and different tactics all the way to what bow is the best
smirk.gif
. Anyway, I don't take any grain of salt from NR bashing. I look beyond it, and enjoy reading and looking at mature bucks.

I'm likely the biggest outsider looking in.....I'm in a different country. I will not pretend to know even the slightest about many of the issues that come up on this site but that will not keep me from visiting.

On this site are people as obsessed as I, people willing to learn every day about whitetails, and to share their own knowledge. There are people who share in each other's successes and share successes of their own. In my opinion there is not another website available so full of information, good people, and great whitetails, those things will keep me coming back as long as the site exists.
We all have our differences, we come from many different walks of life, and from places scattered across the continent but just think how well we'd all get along if we could all sit down in a big old hall, have a few beverages and swap stories. None of the people I associate with and call friends understand what makes me tick the way many of you, people I've never met face to face do,... those people are you. We agree on some things, disgaree on some, and have no opinion on others but this site brings us together as friends with one commonality.....whitetails. Thanks to ONECAM and all others responsible for the site and thanks to everyone else on here that I feel like I know.

yes it says IOWAWHITETAIL.COM........... dosntmean u have to be from iowa. as long as you love the outdoors and hunting. to keep the memories and traditions alive......

As an NR on this site I feel sometimes that the tone of some responses to NR's are based on the fact we are not from Iowa. However, I believe most on IowaWhitetail are great people who have taught me a ton about deer hunting.
I think OneCam is the classiest person on this board keeping heads cool, providing great info and spear heading the effort to keep Iowa deer hunting the best in the country.
My hats off to this site, its membership and deer hunting in Iowa.
I will continue to frequent this site, and remember NR's are addicted to whitetail deer like you, and DO NOT want to see a change in Iowa's allocation system.

Thanks Onecam. I was beginning to think I'd have to move three miles to the east just to log on to this site! The reason I joined this site was to get away from the "other" sites that seemed to beat each other up more than talk about what brought us all here in the first place...the love of whitetails. What many of you might not realize is that most of the NR's that are members of this site fully support our fellow iowawhitetailers concerns and the efforts of the IBA. I wish there had been a similar organization here in South Dakota. Ten years ago our annual family pheasant hunt near Winner, SD found us enjoying access to hundreds of acres of prime pheasant hunting. We are now limited to our 75 acres because of outfitter leasing.

We now see lots of Iowa license plates parked at the outfitters lodge. I also see Iowa license plates when I go turkey hunting, I see Iowa plates when I go West River Mule deer hunting and I see Iowa plates when I go to Pickstown walleye fishing. I have not met one yet that I haven’t liked. We are all there for the same reason…and that makes it easy.

Keep up your efforts people.

Tomo

Thanks Onecam.., that certainly helps! I learned long ago on this site that I get along with eveyone as long as I admit that Iowa has the greatest whitetails in the world. Even though I do doubt that statement, I WILL agree just for the sake of not getting slapped around on here. You want my opinion on your "huntable acres" problem? Get rid of the Outfitters and the leased land! How much of the "huntable" land base is now off limits that could have been hunted 5-7 years ago? Heres alittle something that only one person on here knows about me. I had a chance to kill the Albia buck and turned it down! Watched him several evenings from a groundblind, but with no weapon. Landowner was cussin mad that I wouldn't shoot that deer! Many people know of this, but only a few of my friends understand why I didn't shoot that deer. However, lets just say that the Albia buck was only one "look in the mirror" away from a trip to Minnesota. Reasons I didn't do it? 1) I respect the deer! 2) I live to hunt and I didn't want to jeopardize my privalages. 3)Know matter what that landowner said or would do for me, it would still have been poaching. 4)I'm not a poacher! Theres more to it then that but thats all you need to know. It wasn't as easy of a decision as you may think. Many people have called my stupid (including several popular name Iowans)for not doing it. I've never once regretted that decision. How many times in ones life will you have the opportunity to kill a 300 inch deer? I decided to pass mine up!

Great job on this post OneCam. Very well put. Saskguy...I think you hit the nail on the head for how most of us feel about our sport...I know I do. Nicely done.
waytogo.gif

I can see where some may feel alienated at times,as a NR,I feel it's just someting that goes with the territory,which is not done purposely.I personally don't have a problem with the people of Iowa expressing thier opinions to help preserve the quality of hunting they have.Even if it means using the term "non-resident" loosely from time to time,no harm here.I'm almost certain if the table was turned,we'd all be making similar comments also.Go to some of the other hunting forums,and you'll feel the true meaning of being alienated.I think the members here have more class and respect towards others,and would'nt purposely alienate other members,just for the sake of it.

I live in Minnesota and joined the site because of all the terrific people on here. Concerning posts about NRs hunting Iowa, I choose not to post because I like learning from and enjoying everyone else's experiences with whitetails and share some of the things I have learned and experienced as well. I am a patient person which enables me to wait out whitetials an not get offended by the views some may have about NRs. Remeber in the end we are all "North Americans". Tactfully put OneCam.

Good Hunting - OZ

Top Bottom