Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fencing Article

Seth

There is an interesting article in the latest Iowa Farmer Today about fencing laws and regulations and whatnot. It talks about how alot more people are buying farms for recreational/hunting use and they go into the deal not knowing all the regs on fencing. There is also mentioning of a new bill going to legislation this year updating Iowa's fencing laws. It basically would make Iowa a "fenced in" state which means whoever wants to "fence-in" their livestock on their land is responsible for the cost and upkeep of that fence. I personally think this would decrease the amounts of arguments between hunters and cattle farmers.

If you want to build a fence here it's your cost, not to be shared with your neighbor. I guess that'd make us "fenced in"...yet I'd guess only 5-10% of the land within 30 miles of my house is fenced..far less than that where I grew up.

In most counties in MO that is what they do, then if the other person does end up putting in livestock they reimburse for their half of the fence. I think that is only fair personally.

I have been waiting for the request from one of my neighbors to improve fences. Wouldn't mind a change to the law, but know what i am going to have to do someday if it does not change. Sad thing is I am too cheap to hire it done. sure I will learn many lessons when the time comes.

I don't think a neighbor who has nothing to fence in should be half responsible for the cost of a fence keeping the neighbor's livestock coraled. I had a neighbor approach me a few years ago regarding paying half. My response was, yea, if I get half the proceeds when your beef cattle go to market. Didn't hear from him again.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the request from one of my neighbors to improve fences. Wouldn't mind a change to the law, but know what i am going to have to do someday if it does not change. Sad thing is I am too cheap to hire it done. sure I will learn many lessons when the time comes.

Heck just get some beer and a few friends, Might not be to straight but it would get done :)

Running fence isnt to bad, just dont take out your corner posts till your ready to replace them :)

Rule of thumb has always been that on your side, if you look at the fence, cut it in the middle and the left half you are responsible and the right half your neighbor is responsible (maybe vice versa).

This seems fair in the old days but now with rec ground being bought for hunting, maybe the guy with the cattle should be responsible and if you don't have cattle why should you pay to keep the cattle out??????

Times change and so should the laws.

Thoughts??

sounds to me like another case of "city folk" moving out to the country and whining about how things have been done for decades.

No T, it's called common sense. On the flip side though another neighbor rotates corn and beans on my property and I do not ask a rental fee. Over the years we've helped each other in different ways.

Last edited:
sounds to me like another case of "city folk" moving out to the country and whining about how things have been done for decades.

I agree with this.
I helped put in a ton of it growing up,and a lot of it was in areas we didn't run cattle.It was either fence it, or the neighbors stock cows were gonna have a hay day in our field. I don't have any cattle, but I am certain I will be getting together with the neighbor one of these next few years to replace the old fence. It's fairly inexpensive to do if your not afraid of a little work.

Sounds like Teeroy hit the nail on the head. All it takes is alittle sweat and compaired to the amount of money you're probably spending on food plots and equipment it's not very much money. Oh yeah and the fact that it's Common Courtesy. A neighbor should never have to ask you to repair your fence. It should be walked once every spring and fall.

Corygnc, We've always went with the right side is your half while standing on your side of the fence. Depending on how old the fence is, it should be marked with double posts at the center. That's just the way we do it though. It might be different in your area.

No T, it's called common sense. On the flip side though another neighbor rotates corn and beans on my property and I do not ask a rental fee. Over the years we've helped each other in different ways.

You might as well charge him rent for one year and use the money to put up a fence that will last twenty. If he's a farmer and not having to pay any rent then he'd probably just put it up for you or atleast help. This all depends on the amount of acres he gets too.

I'd rather NOT have cattle on my property. Maintaining fence is just another one of those chores that needs done from time to time. It's not complicated work. It's also not glamorous work.

But, like mowing the lawn, it always gives a feeling of satisfaction when it's all done and done well.

iowaPete

Fencing

I am not sure what the rule in MN is, but I do know that the cattle farmer should maintain or erect the fence, and if your cattle get out and then get hit by a car you can be liable, or if your cattle trample a corn or bean field you will be liable and that is where your liability insurance comes into play.

With that being said, each cattle farmer should make sure they have proper fencing and should not rely on their neighbor, who may not have cattle or livestock liability, to cover them if an incident occurs.

Top Bottom