Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fencing off Soybeans

RutRunner

Thinking ahead to next year already... We are going to try a 1/2-3/4 acre soybean plot. There is plenty of deer passing thru the area so we want to fence it off until late October or sometime around there. I've looked into hot zone fence but seems you can do one yourself for less. There isn't power so we will need to use a solar powered energizer. Anyone have experience and maybe some tips? Any particular solar unit? We were planning on a dual perimeter.

Are you wanting to late muzzy over this? Because if so then a plot of that size you will want to wait you will want to wait until later to take the fence down...a good cold snap and they will destroy that in no time...but if you research homemade electric fences you will find a lot of ways to do it for fairly cheap...should be able to get it done for a few hundred dollars pretty easily

I'd love to test the idea of a hot zone fence without the electrical component. I find it hard to believe a deer actual walks into the fence and gets shocked. I'd bet a pile of money that using red string/rope would accomplish the same thing. It would have to be setup exactly the same I'm sure with a dual perimeter and multiple lines on each post but I think it would work.

I'd be interested to know what others think because I'm humble enough to admit I could be wrong.

I know with our cows if its off for even a couple hours they find it and get out. Holsteins are kind of known for mischief though. I wonder if they can hear it? I can hear it even if there is a light ground somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some frequency emitted.

I'd love to test the idea of a hot zone fence without the electrical component. I find it hard to believe a deer actual walks into the fence and gets shocked. I'd bet a pile of money that using red string/rope would accomplish the same thing. It would have to be setup exactly the same I'm sure with a dual perimeter and multiple lines on each post but I think it would work. I'd be interested to know what others think because I'm humble enough to admit I could be wrong.
We have two fenced off plots about 400 yards apart. The solar charger quit working on one and the deer figured it out and destroyed it. Even after we put a new fencer out the deer never stopped going through the wires to get to the plot. Our other plot we had no problems and have had very few deer get in. It's full of beans and ready for late muzzy when we take it down.

Last edited:
We have two fenced off plots about 400 yards apart. The solar charger quit working on one and the deer figured it out and destroyed it. Even after we put a new fencer out the deer never stopped going through the wires to get to the plot. Our other plot we had no problems and have had very few deer get in. It's full of beans and ready for late muzzy when we take it down.http://s962.photobucket.com/user/ch...8-4CFF-9A8D-72B2A4111A0F_zpskkxulnsw.jpg.html You would be wrong this time:)

Well it's a dang good thing I didn't bet a pile of money then haha! I just figured they'd stay out due to the dual perimeter and height/quantity of cable vs the electrical shock. Humbled again :)

Top Bottom