Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilize or not?

Without reading the details I always will say "yes" but that's not always right. ;). Oats alone will grow in anything, like above says. N will make it grow faster & better, no doubt. Splitting hairs. Big consideration.... You gonna plant something later down road? If so, for sure put P&K down if no soil test. You gotta start building that up and "LIKELY" deficient in one or both of P&K. Likely needs pelletized lime as well for PH but hard to know without soil test.
If it were ME.... (which I'm gonna plant something at that location ongoing).... I'd put ACTUAL down per acre of about 60-60-60 (N would be treated if I didn't disc so didn't evaporate) and about 200 lbs pelletized lime if I didn't do soil test.

What kind of fertilizer value do you guys count for deer manure? Like if small plots are always covered in droppings, do you think you even need to bother testing? Especially if the plants grow just fine?

In regards to treated fertilizer, is bagged 46-0-0 fertilizer from the co-op likely to be treated? Do they come both treated and untreated in bags?

Deer manure, that's an interesting one! Hmmm. You can look up manure values on google for cow, chicken, pig, etc. They are probably eating and taking up more than putting down but interesting, hard to say. Soil test is really the answer.

Urea in bags is untreated. Unless you find some specialty stuff or lawn fertilizer (which as far as I know almost always has 2,4-d added, etc, which you don't want). Usually you get bulk treated at coop- they apply it. There's 2 methods.... Agritain or Nitrain is a liquid that's treated to Urea to stabilize it or Smart Nitrogen (I think that's what it's called or ESN) which is coated with polymer I think. I believe ESN would be slower to release but there's plenty of info out there to confirm & should be fine. Both work fine and I've used both.

In regards to treated fertilizer, is bagged 46-0-0 fertilizer from the co-op likely to be treated? Do they come both treated and untreated in bags?

bagged 46-0-0 is Urea and is normally not treated and is the type of Nitrogen that is susceptible to evaporation. It is recommended to apply Urea either by incorporating into the soil via tillage or disking, etc, OR apply on the soil right in front of an anticipated rainfall and let the rain take it into the soil.

Obviously, applying it right in front of a rain is easiest and also avoid tillage...but if it doesn't rain, you will likely have evaporation OR if it rains too much you could lose some to soil leaching, etc.

Top Bottom