Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilizer for Corn

strutnrut

What kind and what amounts of fertilizer do you use on corn food plots? With the cost of fertilizer I don't want to over do it but I also want the best corn crop that I can get.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind and what amounts of fertilizer do you use on corn food plots? With the cost of fertilizer I don't want to over do it but I also want the best corn crop that I can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully I answered your question here but nannyslayer pretty well covered it as well.

That thread also covers the different types of N and the problems with each and application/timing scenarios also.

[ QUOTE ]
130lbs of Nitrogen, and it really depends on you soil test on how much p & k you will need.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont pretend to know anything about this stuff, but I'd second that.
I did a 1 acre corn plot last year and I ended up broadcasting 300# of Urea (46-0-0, which is 138#'s of N) and the plot did very well. In fact, there is still a fair amount of ears left in the plot and the neighbor that planted it for me may combine it soon if he thinks there is enough to bother with.

I did a soil test through ISU and to my surprise N recommendations are not based on the test, only P&K. For N amounts they had a chart which varied depending on what had been planted there previously. I would imagine you could find that in the ISU website with a little searching.

I'm going to try some sustainable agriculture. I'm going to split all my food plots in half and plant half in berseem clover and half in sorghum (you could do corn). The berseem will fix 80-100 units of N per acre. It then dies out in the winter and all I have to do is pull in and no till my sorghum. I'll disk every other year and broadcast the clover. The deer will eat it up and it has a good protein level. The cost for the N is between $25-$32/acre based on 15-20lbs/acre of the clover at $78.50/50lbs. I think the cost to put down the fertilizer would be about $50/acre if you have it done by the coop. This eliminates the hassle and cost, and puts something out for the deer and the pheasants each year.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to try some sustainable agriculture. I'm going to split all my food plots in half and plant half in berseem clover and half in sorghum (you could do corn). The berseem will fix 80-100 units of N per acre. It then dies out in the winter and all I have to do is pull in and no till my sorghum. I'll disk every other year and broadcast the clover. The deer will eat it up and it has a good protein level. The cost for the N is between $25-$32/acre based on 15-20lbs/acre of the clover at $78.50/50lbs. I think the cost to put down the fertilizer would be about $50/acre if you have it done by the coop. This eliminates the hassle and cost, and puts something out for the deer and the pheasants each year.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is excellent!
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Anyone who has enough ground to rotate between "nitrogen fixers" and "nitrogen users" should take advantage of it!

I'll be planting some berseem myself for brassica plots mixed with oats for early season feed.

I believe the highest benefit comes from plowing down the berseem this fall but berseem, alfalfa and hairy vetch all will produce nearly all the nitrogen a crop like corn or sorghum needs.

It's to bad commercial growers wouldn't take advantage of sustainable agriculture!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has enough ground to rotate between "nitrogen fixers" and "nitrogen users" should take advantage of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been rotating my beans / clover and corn the past several years with good results. I do apply 100lb of 46-0-0 per acre of corn and have had decent yields...

Top Bottom