Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilizer prices

vrod

$550 an acre for fertilizer and urea has me on the fence with food plot this year.
Where would you guys cut cost?
Less fertilizer or less urea?
This is a brassica plot.

What was there last year? If planting into clover and you've been keeping up with the P&K I'd put 2 bags of urea and see how they are doing...you can always add a little later. If I was really broke I'd put $30 of seed on the ground and see what you get before not having a plot. Rye is fairly cheap also.

I’ve always just followed double trees advise and did #400 of 6-24-24 and #200 of urea

Soil test will tell you where there are savings.

If you've been putting out that much P&K for more than one year, you're safe with just Urea.

I would also add 100# / acre gypsum for the sulfur content. Brassicas (as most things with higher protein levels) need sulphate. Gypsum is cheap, around $7 per 40lb or 50 lb bag.

Last edited:
I’ve always just followed double trees advise and did #400 of 6-24-24 and #200 of urea
$10 test could save you some serious money.

Also, thats not a crazy rate... assume you're buying bags.... buy in bulk for a fraction of cost. Won't be anywhere near $500

Agree on above soil test. If you have done this for years - u probably have surplus p&k built up. Agree on getting it in a cart from coop if able - In bulk. Save ton. Agree to add micros - sulfur, boron, zinc. & ya- if clover- don’t need as much urea.
I put this down today…. My soil test dictated most of this. IMG_4368.jpeg

Top Bottom