Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilizer question.

Bucksnbears

Over all, if you only had ONE blend to put down (no matter what) kind of seeds planted, what would be your choice?

“Half” of what u plant is gonna need Nitrogen… corn, brassicas, cereal grains, etc. WITH NO SOIL TEST: Corn will be: 180-65-65 for a made up #. With brassicas or cereal rye, can dial the N down a good bit.

Beans, clovers, peas, alfalfa, etc…. 7-65-65 is a good made up # with no soil test.

NEXT: most soils in Midwest are sulfur deficient. Most. 10-20 lbs without soil test.
If u are acidic for area, no doubt I’d put a minimum of 100 lbs pelletized lime on both plots for a tiny band aid.
Micros: zinc, manganese, boron, etc are probably all low too. Probably.

So- u wanted a quick answer & im doing opposite ;) :). But….. GET SOIL TEST is the best short answer in reality.
If a guy really wants to “quick throw it out”…. If it were ME:
1) I’d do the Nitrogen above which corn needs most.
2) I’d do around 50 to 70 lbs of each P&K
3) 100 lbs+ pelletized lime if u in acidic region
4) 15 lbs sulfur.

If it’s a “bag” - I think it’s ballpark like 6-24-24 u can buy & 46-0-0 of course. Other stuff would get separate of course.

Sorry on long answer but few ways to tackle & few more variables to think about.

The reason this cant be blanketed is because some crops don't require the same amount of N. For instance you wouldn't want to put 100 units of nitrogen on soybeans and clover. Always best to do a soil sample.
For Instance, I put 150-50-50 on my Corn plot this year. That same plot was beans last year and I only added lime and grew a great crop!

A lot of coops will even do the sample for free if you buy the fertilizer from them.

I get it. Many different blends for different crops.
I'm talking small food plots (should have made that clear) sorry.
I've got 6 plots on my ground. Range in size from maybe 1/8 acre to 1/2 acre.

I plant pumpkins/squash/redish/turnips/rape/oats/rye/ladino clover.
I rotate each plot yearly except the clover.

Annually, I put 50# of triple 19 on the small plots and 100#s on the 1/2 acre one.
Barring good rains, they always turn out great.
Except the clover. I've never put anything on them once they get established.

I get it. Many different blends for different crops.
I'm talking small food plots (should have made that clear) sorry.
I've got 6 plots on my ground. Range in size from maybe 1/8 acre to 1/2 acre.

I plant pumpkins/squash/redish/turnips/rape/oats/rye/ladino clover.
I rotate each plot yearly except the clover.

Annually, I put 50# of triple 19 on the small plots and 100#s on the 1/2 acre one.
Barring good rains, they always turn out great.
Except the clover. I've never put anything on them once they get established.
100 lbs of 19-19-19 is obviously:
19 lbs of N P & K (each) For 1/2 acre that means u are applying: 38-38-38 lbs of each PER ACRE
Which is light IN GENERAL. Depends on soil test of course.
U have to work that blend in or do before rain or the N is gone.
That would maybe do it for most of your plots & over time im sure would be fine. The one part u might increase is N if u r gonna do anything u listed above with exception of clover.

Here’s an old video I did a long time ago that breaks it down a bit too….

Top Bottom