Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Jugdging Does

muddy

I try to look for a longer snout if I'm wanting an older doe. Also a greyer body seems to point them out too. Personally if I'm looking to fill an antlerless tag I'd go for a younger deer since some of them old does can be kind've tough. That and if you take an older doe and she has a fawn with her that younger deer has a lesser chance of surviving the winter without an older, more experienced, adult to "teach" them things.

MW

I don't really want a young deer for fear of shooting a button buck. Anyway, we've found that the size and age of a deer doesn't have as much to do with tasty venison as does how quickly it is killed/recovered and the meat cooled down. Good Hunting!

During the late season, most of the deer will be traveling in groups. Just look at the animals in view and choose the largest of the group. This will help eliminate button buck harvest and, depending on the weather, shouldn't put shed bucks at risk. Picking the mature doe out when she is with her fawns should be relatively easy based on body size alone. There is no fool proof method, but hope this helps. Try to lerave single deer alone as they tend to be button bucks traveling by themselves.

If a deer is by itself I also look for the longer nose and ears.

But, if you 2 deer in the love lock, it will be the one on the bottom without the antlers. (sorry I couldn't resist)

I look for the longer nose and more mature looking face of the doe. The fawns have a short nose, relatively larger eyes and a 'cute' look. Often the fawns are the first coming through the woods, especially the button bucks. The button bucks are even more difficult to tell from doe fawn now that their hair is longer. I had a button buck at 10 yards (from a blind) in good light with binoculars before I could see his pencil tip sized nubs sticking out.

Eating wise I enjoy the flavor of a doe the best. Fawn are tender but almost tasteless to me.

As I mentioned in another thread, I also saw a big buck without antlers chasing does so watch for that flat top to the head, larger neck and buck behavior before shooting what you think is the biggest doe in the group. It sure helps to carry binoculars.

Anyone got any tips on field judging trophy does ?? I've got 2 tags to fill, but unfortunately, no antlers allowed!! I'm holding out for the "hogettes"
wink.gif
Good Hunting!

NWBuck

As Old Buck mentioned,
Binoculars are essential to any hunt. You can identify your target long before It's in range with good binocs. Longer snouts are usually bigger does from what I have experienced. Then again there are exceptions to the rule. Just like some bucks are big bodied and have small racks, and some are small bodied and have large racks. If you want great tasting venison, you don't want an older doe. Trophies are exceptional, but why would you want a trophy doe? If you want to shoot an older doe, look for the leading doe in a group. Usually the older and wiser doe will lead the pack. From what I have experienced this is the case. In my opinion, doe or buck, an older deer is much more of an accomplishment then any trophy. Good Luck on your hunt!

BT

....Happiness is a nocked arrow.....

NWBuck-

I only suggested the fawn shooting thing cuz one year I shot the bigger doe in the group and when we got her home and skinned she was older than the hills. Her teeth were flat with her gums and her meat was sunken in along her backbone, it was sick. After that I just went to shooting fawns cuz they're basically a butterball on hooves! =)

good hunting to all you late seasoners!

MW

Top Bottom