Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Report

Thanks guys
It was really rewarding doing it all on my own, finding spots, hanging stands and cameras. And then being able to put it all together with a great shot on a mature old buck.

When I went down there I had it in my head that I wouldn't shoot anything that wasn't larger than my best buck, all or nothing type of deal.
But when you are given a point blank shot with plenty of daylight on a big old buck, well things just kind of go into automatic if you know what I mean! It made for a long day as I butchered and caped him out and packed him in coolers in my car, pulled stands and cameras. Got on the road at 2pm and arrived back at my home at 1am, I was beat let me tell you!

Thanks again guys and I hope you have a very good season.

Awesome 5575!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was debating whether to Waterfowl hunt or deer hunt this weekend. Your post just put some new wind in my sails...Thanks for your post I love the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will be out in the stand with a decoy.

What was your stratagy??? Blind calling? scents, rattling etc. etc.

I'd snort weeze then a little later bang the horns folowed by some tending grunts.
The first evening I got down there at about 3, I found a spot and got my decoy and stand set up and was in the tree about 4:30.
At 6:30 I had a 145-150 class big bodied bugger come marching in ears pinned back and stiff legged! He circled the decoy at about 3 feet then stood facing it nose to nose, all this in my first 2 hours! i'd never even used a decoy until then, it's the one made by delta by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Waukon1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great Series of pics 5575!

My favorite is the one as he was found.
</div></div>

Great story and pictures! That's a heckuva field report right there!

Last night on my way home about 11pm I see two does standing in the ditch. As I am driving by I see a 10 pt buck with junk standing on the other side of the fence. I back up and get out of the truck and the buck would not let the does through the fence. One or both of those does was close to being ready. I watch this for probably 5 minutes got bored and continued home. This morning I had a large buck come in and smell the estros wicks on each side of the finger I was on going under my stand from one to the other. To dark couldnt see tines but good main beams. I could hear him searching the rest of the timber but could not get him to come in after shooting light. Saw 2 does on the move about 8. Will be hunting all weekend.

It's been beautiful weather this past week with some nice frosty mornings and pretty sunrises.

10-30-07Sunrise.jpg

The only morning I saw a lot of movement was Thursday when we had a real heavy frost. It was all over by 9:00 a.m. and so far only small bucks.

Lot's of freshly harvested corn that is keeping deer spread out in my area.

Cornstubble.jpg

Plenty of spilled corn to keep them busy

Cornucopia.jpg

There's also a ton of standing crops despite the nice weather. Makes for tough hunting with hundreds of acres of standing corn for deer to hide in. Plenty of standing beans that were flooded this past summer also.

StandingBeans.jpg

This morning was pretty slow and the only mature bucks I've seen were moving about 3:30 in the afternoon! Be in your stand plenty early this weekend!

My trail cams have showed 90% nocturnal movement and perhaps 95% nocturnal movement of mature bucks...hopefully that will start to change.

Hunting Times

Next week looks awesome with some much colder weather moving in!

Awesome Weather

Good luck this weekend all! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I haven't see any sign of rut yet. I've had 13 deer go past my stand in the last two nights, all normal behavior. Of course the biggest buck went by just out of my range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Of course the biggest buck went by just out of my range.
</div></div>

Ain't that the way... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Sure has been some awesome weather and it's only gonna get better!

11-01-07Sunrise.jpg

Hard to beat watching the sun warm up the pines

MorninginthePines.jpg

Seems like I'm a magnet for little bucks this time of year...

SmallBuck.jpg

I did have a mature buck come out checking does Saturday morning but never got closer then 200 yards /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Things will be heating up this week...remember your camera and camcorder! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

What did you see this past weekend?

This is the strangest year. I live on a river bottom, and still have only seen the beginning signs of rut. I saw two decent bucks, and neither of them were with does, and the does I have seen still aren't skitish/nervous from being chased around...I'm actually kind of surprised because of all the activity I saw earlier.

Went out this weekend and was surprised not to see more chasing. No doe activity until 45 minutes before sundown. Has to be close though, fawns are separated from does. Once the high pressure settles in, might have to take a few days off.

Top Bottom