Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FIELD REPORT

miff007

I searched some post this morning looking for observations and ideas, even posted a help post for ideas. I have not seen a field report started yet, so I will start one here..

Please post your update and add your observations. What have you seen, whats working, seen and Big Bucks during daylight cruising etc...I know I like to hear what others are seeing to help decide what to try next. I know I would appreciate the info and I think many others would as well!

Central Iowa 10/16/08
AM and PM

I always like to hear what guys are seeing it gives ideas to plan your next outing.We all have different schedules and vacation at different times. This year I am trying a new approach hunting the early MZ season. I have only made it out a 4 times now and am finally dialing into the deer patterns.

I have been hunting this week in the A.M. with little results..My spot has fresh cut beans and plenty of acorns in the timber and a switch-grass bedding area. On the morning hunts I assumed they were eating acorns in the timber..

This morning I saw 3 small bucks crusing on my way to hunt. I had 6 does/fawns at 5-10 yards and rattled in a 2.5 year old basket rack buck I was in timbered finger between beans and corn.

Good action dark through 8 AM and nothing after that...gave up at 11

Afternoon I did a P.M. hunt and found out my morning mistakes I was approaching my morning stands through the beans and avoiding the oak/acorn areas. Tonight the deer mingled in the timber browsing on misc. browse and munching acorns between 5PM and dark the deer flooded out of the timber and into the cut beans munching all of the pods missed by the combine.I had 18 deer in front of me most does and a couple of small bucks, all in range I was just waiting for a shooter to come out thinking all was safe since so many does were out.

I am sure that I was bumping all of the deer out of the moonlit bean fields feeding and only to see young ones during shooting hours.

Daylight to 8:00 a.m. I have been seeing deer and in the evening 5:15 to 5:30 it's like they all move and then not a thing after 5:30.

All crops are standing and beans just turning here so deer are scattered and difficult to pattern.

My other farm food plots are drawing them and I at least saw a 3 1/2 buck.

NE going to East winds today...try something different.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been seeing deer and in the evening 5:15 to 5:30 it's like they all move and then not a thing after 5:30. </div></div>

This is the same thing I've been seeing. When they decide to get up and start moving, they all move at once. But it's only about a half hours worth of action. Usually 5:30-6:00.

From my evening drive around town, I am seeing does only, and they start moving out to the field about a half hour before sunset. I see them mostly in hay, fewer numbers in cut soybeans.

Had I gotten an early Muzzy tag, Im pretty confident I could bet getting a doe every night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see them mostly in hay </div></div>

Had to run over to the other place to fix a water gap about 10:00 a.m. and the alfalfa fields were full of deer all the way over there!

Shortly after that it started to rain so they moved ahead of the front.

Tonight they moved earlier bewteen 4 and 4:30 and then it was dead until dark.....

First serious sit will be tomorrow morning. However, tonight I saw a 125 class eight point hanging pretty tight to a doe about 50 yards off the road. Stopped to turn the vehicle lights on them and the buck only moved when the doe moved. Almost acted like he was tending her already.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

You could cut the fog with a knife this morning and it was dead calm and did I mention...DEAD... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

My son saw a pair of little spikehorns and that was more then I saw, hope it was better for everyone else... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

South wind tonight and the sun is out.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Thurdsay night I hunted a corn field that was combined 2 days earlier, 9 bucks and at least 20 does. One 4 & 1/2 and the rest were 1-3 year olds. It was a really fun night and bucks were lightly chasing.

Friday night I saw 12-15 does and no bucks. I hunted an area right off the road for good access where they browse some acorns- it was a quick hunt in a mediocre spot.

Sat AM- saw one 1&1/2 and one 3&1/2 buck and a few does when I was hunting just in the timber behind where they feed.

If you have food sources right now that are HOT (alf-alfa and fresh picked corn for example), it's COLD and you can get in and out without bumping deer- it's good- scrapes all over too.

Mornings for me have also been dead quiet, like they are already bedded before light, afternoons have been a little better but only does and fawns. They are hitting the alfalfa hard here and can see them out in the fields right before dark.

Beauty evening tonight...SE wind and calm. Deer moved between 5 and 5:30...all quiet until last couple minutes before dark.

Two big boys slipped out of the timber into the soys...nuff to get the heart thumpin a little! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

My son hunted a different spot...saw nothing until walking out after dark...jumped a "herd" feeding in the alfalfa..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I've been driving by my hunting spot every morning around 5am all week and have seen a ton of deer out and about at that time. I hunted both Saturday and Sunday morning and had good action up until 8-9am, after 9 nothing. Lots of movement with this big bright moon. I hunted Saturday afternoon 3-sundown and only seen 3 deer. This morning I seen a couple young bucks pushing does pretty good and yesterday morning a high and tight 8 was trailing some does. I think it's getting close. Next weekend should be awesome.

Good luck to everybody.

Thursday - Saturay
South Central / Monroe County

Hunted morning and evening each of these days and wish I had more insight to share but it has been very slow here. Saw 3 bucks (spike, fork, and basket 8) on Friday night and a few does here and there.

Action here seems to be just prior to and after 1st light and within the last hour of shooting light in the evenings. Hope the cold weather starts to roll in.

It sounds the same everywhere. i agree this week should get things rollin. Scrapes are starting to show up more and you can see that they are worked. Saw to good bucks yesterday morning before shooting light. That is how it is in the SW corner anyway.

Still seeing shooters in the field well after shooting light. No buck movement along travel corridors until late as well.

Last week bucks were making scrapes but this week very little follow up. Not seeing bucks cruising scrape lines. Guessing mostly small bucks were ahead of the game. Best buck I've seen was in the a.m. but overall sightings are much fewer than in the p.m. Does starting to filter out of the timber earlier...4:30pm yesterday. Deer were in the field until after dark, standing beans. One very large buck that stayed within the same 30 yard circle eating beans and observing along timber edge for a full 1 1/2 hours. Never seen one be that committed to a single spot for so long.

Was out last night and started seeing does moving in the timber heading out to feed at 4:15 p.m. Seen does moving on & off up until dark. Had a scrub 6 point buck come in about 6:00 p.m. and bump a few does. Right at dark had a up & coming 130-140 inch buck come in to about 40 yards and scan the field edge. Grunted softly a few times trying to get him to come a little closer so I could see him better. He spun his head around my direction stood there for a few minutes and then simply walked away. It's close but just not quite there yet.

Marion County 10/23 evening

Made it out again this evening with a buddy. We both hunted the same farm in different areas we both saw small buck cruising, lots of does and yearlings. They were coming out of the timber 4:30- dark making their way into cut beans. Still no visual on any mature bucks..New scrapes popping up every outing..

We have to be close to that time.. I hope plenty of guys will be out chasing ditch chickens this weekend and stirring up the deer!

Just glassing tonight... 10/23/08

FINALLY saw a mature buck chasing does although it was somewhat short lived. So far all the action has been from little stuff. Overall deer activity was moderate to above. Well after dark I saw a huge one in a very dangerous and exposed spot near a busy road on the edge of town. Rare to see them there even during full rut. I'm taking a leap and saying that things moved up a decent sized notch today. Colder temps and rain moving out only helped the situation I'd imagine. Thank goodness I'm finally getting into the tree this weekend!

I was out this past weekend in SE Iowa and had some decent action on Saturday. Small bucks were doggin some does with their nose to the ground and right on their trail. Only saw a small buck and a couple does Sunday while trying to hang on up in the tree. The wind probably kept the big boys in the low, thick spots during the day. Thanks for all the other updates fellas.
-Jake

Top Bottom