Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

FIELD REPORT

I saw alot of chasing all day today.Almost more like tending with the bigger deer (3yr old).I went scouting some new land mid day and was surprised by the chasing in this warm weather.I was walking a heavy trail looking for a good tree and walked head on into a nice ten point.He was busy smelling the trail while I was busy looking for good trees.We both saw each other at about the same time I believe.At 15 yds we stood for 30 sec waiting for each others next move.He finally turned and ran back down the trail.Long story short,it is time to sit all day.This was around the hartford area.

Here's an update from north-central West Virginia. They were cruising yesterday. First buck, a 7-point, came in at 8:30 and worked a scape for five minutes. Gave me the complete show! Rubbed his preorbital glands in the overhanging branch for five minutes, legs together and urinated in the scrape. He passed at 12 yards. He had good forks, but lacked mass, which helped my decision to pass on him. Two hours later, here comes a little 4-pt, straight to the same scrape, where he spent several minutes working it. Really cool stuff. Saw one doe a little later. Climbed down at 2:00 so I could take my daughter to dance class.

Saw my first mature buck from stand this AM - 7:45 specifically. Out by his lonesome. Grabbed the bow but he never presented a shot. Upper 30's nine pt. Big, big body. Caught a wiff of my quartering scent at about 30 yards. Eventually turned to walked away after about 3-4 minutes of trying to figure out what he was smelling.

Another decent buck pushing a doe this AM about 7:45. He got a pass in two different shooting lanes. Estimated him in the 40's somewhere, I really had to think hard on him but he got the pass anyway this day. Smaller basket about 9:00, no other deer sightings up through 10:15 when I climbed down.

Had two 120's - 130's chase a doe across the gravel in front of the firetruck with lights and sirens going at about 2:00. Both would have been hard to pass up, that estimate would be on the low side. Other than one had the entire left side busted off

No shooters from the stand as of yet. Still waiting patiently...

Talked to my Dad tonight and he said he sat on his porch and saw bucks chasing all over the place.

Went out this Am... am hunting ground ive never been on... Saw 12 does and 3 small bucks with a real mice 5x6 muley. Starting to see a lot more activity. Went out around 5 and saw a small buck with a doe...

Had some good activity this weekend. Bucks, especially younger one, were really responding to rattling. My buddy and I teamed up in stands near each other on Sat. evening and rattled in 5 bucks. A really nice 4.5+ came into rattling about 15min prior to the end of shooting light, but only presented a questionable shot at low light.

Got skunked on sunday morning, had deer around my stand, but too much fog to see. It was the first time I've ever heard a buck snort weeze, he was grunting like crazy also.

Sunday night I decided to stalk along some bedding areas where the farmer was combining corn. I rattled about 45min before dark and I had 3 bucks come in at the same time from different directions. One was a nice 3yr 8pt that came within 7yds of me. Kind of intimidating with that swole neck with only my bow between us. Rattled in another just before dark as well.

Temps are dropping this week, should be a lot more midday movement. Although my trail cams did pick up three 3yr+ bucks moving at 12:30, 1:15 and 1:45 on the 29th and 30th. Amazing when the temp was 69F

I hunted North Central Iowa this past weekend. I had a lot of luck calling in conjunction with buck decoy. I passed 7 different bucks all were smaller younger deer though. I did not see any shooters. It was 70's degrees this weekend so I think that might have had some impact on things. Hoping this incoming cold front gets the big boys up and moving.

Ditto for me. Hunting eastern IA. Lot's of little bucks running wild. Rattled 6 in saturday morning one little non typical that I'd like to see in 3 years. 6x4 at 1.5 years maybe 7x4 smaller rack hard to see some tines. and 3 sunday morning one nice nine point with a broken tine. Might go in the 120" He'll be real nice in a year or two.

To start out I sat in the perfect south wind stand and as usual the unexpected happens 2 nice buck come in front where I least expected...

Went out this morning had a buck follow me to the stand and stand 10 yards downwind in the dark looking for the source of the footsteps which was me..I did not realize he was there until I was in the stand..I stood still in the stand with my backpack on and bow in sling... he looked and looked, finally I tried to take my bow out of the sling and nock an arrow under cover of darkness...Hoping to get a shot at daybreak.. Still dark could see he was a good deer 145"ish poured a bit of doe pee on the ground to hopefully hold him til shooting time...Well finally he busted me trying to get setup he trotted off never got a shot..45 minutes later I rattled and grunted in another nice buck 130" ten pointer. Well he also came in 15 yards directly downwind... also saw a few does but this was very encouraging!!!

This week may be time to get out with the front approaching should only get better :)

I drive some gravels after work (10:30pm) Saw several does bedded down in a hay field and one in an open ditch. Both right next to the road. I assume they're tired of being chased, hot and thought these were the place to be. Thought it was odd to me.
Also saw a buck birddogging a down out in a cut cornfield. watched them in the head lights for a couple minutes.

Top Bottom