Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Report

miff007

I for one have not been out at all yet, my vacation starts Friday, even on vacation have to balance hunting with family time... I'm sure many are in the same boat. If you make it out please post what you experience for guys like me that can't make it out... Deer moving? Chasing? Any big bucks moving? In timber, field edge etc..What were they feeding on?
Any post is greatly appreciated for of us have to pick our days on the higher probability days...

Last edited:
Was out this am and again this pm. You are not missing anything yet, i have not witnessed any chasing or mature buck activity as of yet. Very little movement with the warm temps.

I was out Saturday PM and saw a 2 little bucks fighting and not much later a bigger one came through chasing a doe. I was out today and 4 smaller bucks chasing does, but no mature bucks. I'm thinking this weekend might be the weekend to start doing some rattling to see what breaks loose.

Young bucks are the only I've seen chasing, couple more days and I might seeing the old ones on their feet. The does are hitting cut beans at 4 everyday down by my house.

Made it out twice this week. Smaller bucks are visible but my big guys are still moving at dark. Hopefully the cold weather will change that. On the other hand know of a mid 70's and mid 60's killed Monday night. A 50's on Saturday night with a muzzy. Another mid 60's Sunday night and another mid 60's Friday night. All but one were brought in the shop so they are starting to move. Looks like it's gonna be a great year. Already know of a mid 80's and a 200 killed first week of early muzz.

Still a ton of corn in up here. As this continues to come out and temps drop it's gonna get real good. Time to park your butt in a tree.

Sat from 3 oclock until dark. Saw a doe with two fawns and four turkeys. Started out at 74 degrees and was 53 when I left. We'll see how tomorrow goes with the cooler temps.

All my shooter buck pics are after dark. I did see a mid 150s buck moving on a field edge the other day right before dark. Seems like where I hunt the big boys don't show up until Nov 4-5th or so. That being said I will hunt every day up to then too.

I am headed out tonight. I wish I had more stand for a north wind, but we will see. This stand hasn't produced much over the years, but this early I don't want to ruin other stands on this farm.

I was able to get out on Sunday a.m., and I had a 140ish buck come through grunting at about 6:50 a.m. I was hopeful I could get him to stick around until twilight. He started to move past me continuing on his way, and I grunted once to see what I could get for a reaction. He paused a few minutes and started moving slowly. I grunted again with a tending grunt, and he let out a loud grunt. He circled back downwind of me about 75 yards and walked within 10 yards of the base of my tree. He looked around a while, then continued on... Lots of response. It's close. Gets the juices flowing...

Pretty morning in central Iowa but slow. Had a doe walk under me with a small buck following her every move. That was it. Heading NE tomorrow to hunt the bluff ridges by Waukon. Really excited!

Top Bottom