Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fighting Wildfires PICS ADDED

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
For the last week and a half, I've been on call for a local wildfire crew due to the increased wildfire risk in the SW (NM and AZ in particular after TX). This morning I got the call I've been waiting on and am expecting orders to ship out for a 14-day assignment by this Sunday. Limb's comment about wearing an IW hat while doing my recent leopard frog release got me thinking about this assignment. I'll be taking my IW hat to wear when not on the line and not wearing my hard hat. I will do my best to spread the IowaWhitetail love around and make you all proud. When I get back, I'll get some pics posted from the assignment and me in my IW gear mixed with fire gear!

If you all have the time, please keep my family in your prayers (me too, if you think of it, but I'm more worried about them). As tough as it is on me, its tougher on my family, with my wife being a single mom for 2+ weeks until I get back.

Stay tuned for pics in a couple of weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you all have the time, please keep my family in your prayers (me too, if you think of it, but I'm more worried about them). As tough as it is on me, its tougher on my family, with my wife being a single mom for 2+ weeks until I get back.

Consider it done!!!

What a true hero.......more kids should look up to guys like you than someone that can dunk a Bball or catch a pig skin.:way:

Stay safe.

A simple Thank You and prayer should be enough.But in this case I'll include
you and yours in every nightly prayer until I hear you are safe.
The Thank You stands daily.

I often think of people like you when I am watching the water bombers soar back and forth up above as they have been the past 2 weeks up here. Be safe.

Thanks for everything guys! I arrived home safely this afternoon after a long 14 days with a couple of dicey situations. I prayed and talked to my dad above every day, thought of my family constantly, and thought about you all keeping me and mine in your thoughts. I'll post some pics and a few of the good stories in a couple of days after I've had a chance to get caught up with my family. There is nothing better in the world than your two kids jumping into your arms after being gone that long with little communication. :way: THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING! Pics coming soon...

Glad to hear you're ok. I've been watching those fires on the news and had been wondering about your safety!

Wish you had some of the extra water we have on the Missouri River to take care of the fires. Glad your back home safely!

The kids are watching Yogi Bear right now, so I've got a chance to post some pics. After our first 16-hour day on the line, I had a guy snap a quick photo of me in my IW hat for you all:

picture.php

Day 2 brought some line construction up a steep ridge with fire backing down the opposite canyon wall. Helitankers and medium choppers were working it all day with water and retardant, 300-400 yards away:

picture.php

Later that night we capped a 20-hour shift by burning out the fuels between us and the head fire. Night-time burning operations make for some great photos:

picture.php

We kept working our way down canyon bringing fire with us over the next few days. I got some drip torch time, which was great. It took some getting used to looking over my shoulder to see 50'-60' flames torching a cypress thicket 30-40 yards behind me. We just missed the 30' flames in this pine:

picture.php

And after all of that effort, a division up on top of the mountain had a burning branch roll across the line and start a 600 acre slop-over that sent a spot fire 2 miles out. We had to go into structure protection to keep a small town nestled in that area from being burned over. Hard work but a great feeling to save the town. Here is the column from when Foxtrot lost it:

picture.php

Once again, I thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Its great to be home with my family, but if not for a pre-planned family vacation, I'd be ready to roll back out to work on the Wallow Fire in the White Mountains (largest, highest priority fire in the nation). My family and I have tons of great memories from that area, as we do in the area of the Horseshoe II Fire.

Top Bottom