Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Filled my SD tag early

adamo

This is the buck from last Saturday night... ended up grossing in the mid 120's.  

Story: I have filled my buck tag for the last 3 years out of the same treestand, I guess you could call it my honeyhole eventhough I have about a dozen other treestand set ups to pick from. This was the first time I made the nearly 1/4 miles treck into this stand this year. I was seeing does and fawns all night long, but nothing with antlers. Shortly after sunset a basket racked 4x4 showed up and as I was watching him I suddenly heard a large crash back in the woods... it was two bucks fighting. I kept looking in that direction until I saw the two bucks make their way out to where the other buck was... one was a small buck, but the one behind him was nice. From 100 yards away, I took notice of his long G-2 and G3 tines but decided at that time that I wanted to let him walk. I tried some light grunts just to see if I could get their attention but they just ignored me and turned to walk the other way. When they were no longer visable, I picked up my rattlin antlers and cracked them together real quick, turned to hang the antlers up on the tree then turned back around and all 3 bucks were on the dead run right at me.  

They stopped directly under my treestand and started to push each other around (I watched this through the mesh platform of my treestand), then the larger of the 3 stepped out to 10 yards and turned broadside... I was trying to tell myself that it was too early in the season to take a buck like this, but then all I could think about was how far behind I am on paintings and how busy my next 2 months were going to be (I am much more of a procastinator than old buck)!! Needless to say, I couldn't have placed the arrow any better. I took out both lungs and the tip of the heart - he went 50 yards and fell for good.  

There are larger deer in the area I hunt... and I've shot a few bigger with my rifle but this is my biggest archery deer to date, just missing P&Y. He has a beautiful blond forehead, short summer coat, and some red hair on the back of his neck - he will make for a great mount!! And he was by far the LARGEST bodied deer I've ever harvested.  

Adam

01web.jpg

02web.jpg

03web.jpg

Thanks!

Livetohunt... I hunt about an hour north of Sioux Falls on the big sioux river.

Yes, the cold weather last week really got the deer movement up... I went from seeing maybe 4 or 5 deer a night to seeing 20-30 deer a night and the does where out hours before sunset.

Nice buck Adam, don't be kickin yourself for shooting him at all. It took me a long time to shoot one that big.
beerchug.gif

Top Bottom