Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Filming Hunts

tlambert

PMA Member
What are you guys using to film hunts?
We've been using the Canon XL2. Video quality is great but it seems to make a clicking noise in the lens when it's being turned on. Not good on a cold, quiet day. The Canon reps said they all do that, but I don't remember it doing it when we first got it.
Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

THA4 and I have been using an XL2 and I guess I dont remember that problem. There are a lot of people that use that camera.

Thomas can shed some light here?

i use an XL2 and i havent noticed that noise.....
im pretty sure it is silent....

The GL2 doesn't make any noise either..But I have not yet tested in cold hunting weather, but promise it will be this year! Isn't the GL2 just an older model of the XL2?

Probably gonna have to have somebody else take a look at it. I knew I didn't remember that noise from the first year we used it. I think it started after we had it sent in to be cleaned.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the GL2 just an older model of the XL2?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the XL two is a larger camera with a differnt lense. there are several other differences, but im not smart enough to describe them to you.....
grin.gif

the nice thing is the GL2 is more treestand friendly, and works great for just about any hunting situation you might encounter....

I think the XL2 has more options when it comes to adding microphones too. I haven't messed around with it enough yet to know everything about it though.

I have the GL2, and it does take great footage, but I have had extensive problems with it and I have found cannon to be less than great to deal with. For the amount of dollars I have had to spend on simple repairs, I could have almost purchased another cam.

Cannon's customer service telling you that the clicking noise is "normal" is yet another example of what kind of support you can expect from them.
frown.gif

I will be going Sony next time.

i just got a new sony, i love it, they have a 6 or 9 hour battery, trust me, just get it. i think i only ran out of batty life one time in the last 2 years,

XL2 for us as well. We love using them...we have a couple of them.

Are you guys making a video with the cams, or just for fun? If you are looking to be part of a team, you'll have to check out our website (in my signature). We are finishing up our first DVD this fall and are looking for more team members with 3 chip cameras to film with. We are purchasing the new powermac with finalcut and editing software...so we're just about there. Looking to get 2-3 more buck kills on film and we should have a full length video.

If you are interested at all, please feel free to send me an email or PM me.

Top Bottom