Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Final Day Success!

Buckmaster14

Well, it has been a very interesting day today. In order for me to make it in the woods in time after i work the night before, i can't go to sleep. So, i stayed up all night and was set up in my first location at 520 this morning. It was about 545 before i heard a gobble. it was behind me and to the right, towards the field i walk through after i park my truck... knowing the land, and the patterns of the birds if they roost on that side, i packed my gear and literally RAN towards that field. I snuck up to about 40 yards from the bird on the roost, and gave a few soft yelps, he turned towards me and gobbled. By 615, he still hadnt flown down so i figured he was waitin for the hen to come to him.

Instead of going to him, i did the opposite. I slipped away and went up deeper into the field... I called to him from about 70 yards out, then snuck back in close to about 50 yards and sat down and shut up. I heard him fly down at 630, and he gobbled right when he hit the ground. He flew down towards me and had closed half the distance....35 yards.

I was sitting on the edge of the field looking out into it, but i knew by the direction he flew down, he wasnt going into the field, he would come from behind me, so i quietly turned around and faced into the woods. A couple minutes later, i heard him spit... he was close. Not long after that i see him weaving through the trees, heading my way.... 30 yards...25 yards... too many small sapplings for a clear shot. There was a small opening right in front of me at about 20 yards, i put my sights in the opening and waited.
Finally, i saw his head in the opening. He stopped right in the middle of it and stretched his neck out.... perfect :way: Dropped the hammer and the bird rolled. I layed my gun down and ran to the bird. I quickly grabbed his back legs and picked him up... BAD IDEA. This was a heavy bird and he wasnt quite dead yet. The momentum from his wings flapping had me spinning in circles, twisting my back in a few directions, im now sure it wasnt supposed to go... ouch. He finally settled down enough for me to step on his head for a couple minutes, and expire him completely.

10.5 inch beard
1 inch spur and a 7/8 inch spur

bird2.jpg

Even though i killed the bird he still kicked my @ss, what i realized this afternoon was i had set up in a poison ivy patch... my hands and wrists are covered.... but i guess its worth it :D

Top Bottom