Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Final put one down

joey11b

11/21- woke up to fresh snow as I'm sure most did. Had full intentions of doing an all day sit. Wife left to go to a vendor event and left me with the kids. I call her and she says she will be home by 4 which only left me an hr to get to my stand and be settled in. Obviously pure annoyance for me as I was itching to go all day to sit.
4 o clock rolls around, she pulls in and I high five her as I jump in the truck and take off. As I drove out, deer just started to move so I get out of the truck and run the 500 meters to my stand- damn snow drifts about broke me off.
Get to my stand and strapped in at 4:20. Wind was blowing completely wrong as I failed to check it before I left. I get the Vinod out and immediately spot a nice buck roughly 600 meters to the south tending at least 7 does. I scan the area around me and see nothing so I concentrate on the does with him hoping one would break free and come north.
Sure enough one came out of the hedgerow and bolted across the field to the northeast. The buck just watched, never budged. I slam my horns together to get his attention to no prevail. He drifts back into the woods.
I spot a smaller buck just to my north working a fence line so I did a quick doe bleat. He looked south and I hit it again- astonished, he took off away from me to the north. Utter confusion on my part- I look right and see why- the bigger buck was coming straight to the doe bleat. He jumps the fence directly to me east about 100 yards, stops, looks around and starts north again. I set my bow down on the hanger and give another long doe bleat- he stops dead in his tracks and begins trotting straight to me.
Grab my bow, adjust my single pin to 30 yards anticipating where I'd stop him. Within seconds he was within 20 yards.
I had no time to adjust again so I drew back. He stopped when I hissed but turn straight at me, giving me a direct frontal shot.
Quick assessment I decided to take the shot. I released- luminoc glowing and it goes straight in exactly where I wanted it. He just stood there and. All I could think was I was an inch too far to the right. He turned and trotted north 50 yards, stopped and turned towards me. Luminoc barely visible stick out the front of his brisket. He drops and doesn't flinch. I grabbed my Vinod to check ear movement and absolutely nothing. He was done! At this point I knew I hit my target! Climb down and slowly take care of my stuff then head out to him cautiously. About 20ft out I hit the doe bleat again (have done this before when I rushed to get a buck and they jump right up). He didn't move. I circle him once, hit him with the bow in multiple places. He was dead. I'm pumped!
Ironic part of the story is after I put the tag on him I looked at my phone- it was only 4:43!
23 minutes that seemed like hours.
image_zps6zm0zma4.jpeg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zps4gig6hyt.jpeg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpscs4f3l6z.jpeg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks everyone, this was my first Iowa buck and had passed on this one previously. And no I don't have photo of shot placement- mid neck, right side- hit top of heart, and lung.

Top Bottom