Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally ...Drew area 7

bumpbottom

I finally drew a bowtag in area 7 after 4 years. Looking for some advice as it is my first time out. I plan on scouting a few days in august and find a place to stay for the 9 days I am out ( Oct 30th through november 9). I wanted to do a Do it yourself hunt.I had heard the the river bottoms were good....but don't know if that is still true after the floods
Any advice on public lands ( i went to the wildlife management area maps but didnt know if you can hunt the green shaded areas or not and some do not show parking can you still park on the road?). Is there lodging that kind of cater to hunters?

Nice draw...zone 7 is huge and as such there is quite the variety of places to hunt.

Do you have it narrowed a bit beyond just "zone 7"?

I live on the west edge of that zone. There are a couple public hunting ground around here 2 for sure the 3rd I think would be a different zone. I have hunted both a little. Have seen good sign in them but just haven't hunted them enough to really tell how good they are. One is along the river in Cedar Valley Im gonna put a trail cam out there in a couple weeks. The other is Red Oak I did see a nice buck out there 2 years ago came out to late though.
Cedar Valley doesn't seem to get to much pressure because it's pritty hilly most are to lazy to really go in. Getting a deer out would not be a one person job unless you get lucky in the direction he runs. I usually hunt our little timber. If you're in the area let me know I'd let you go in there some assuming you know what sent control is. (Not to be an ass but some people have different ideas of it)

Congrats on the draw. Can't help you out on the area, but when you come out in august pound the gravel and I bet you will find someone willing to let you bow hunt, I have had great luck picking up ground that way. Again congrats and good luck.

Kratz

Muscatine and Louisa have some good public hunting also. If you choose this area let me know and I can maybe help you out.

Congrats on the draw. Im not much help (Im not even from the state) but regarding lodging. Find the areas your going to hunt and pick a town or two. Then find the motels. Looks for the dinky ones. No Super8, No Comfort Suites, although most kinda depend on the staff, your going to spend less and probably have alot better chance of the owner telling you can hang a deer from the tree in back in a small Mom and Pop motel.

Dean

Congrats on the tag. Not sure if it's your first time to Iowa or just your first time into this zone. I've hunted zone 5 before but not 7.......so not sure if it's the same everywhere or not. Anyways, I didn't see too many businesses that cater to hunters (unless it's actually a hunting store). It's not like in MI where hunting season is another holiday. I never see another hunter when I'm in IA- which is unbelievable but true. Bowhunting you probably won't see another soul. Opening day of gun on public, you'll see a lot of people. But that's about it.

Not sure about parking on the side of the road- guess it would depend on the attitude of the CO for that county whether he wants to give you a ticket or not.

Again, congrats, you'll have a great time. From what I've seen, the public land out there is atleast twice as good as private land in MI- so you really can't go wrong.

BC

Thanks for all of the responses. I have not decided where yet ( and still wide open to ideas), but was kinda looking at the colfax/ chichaqua area. Bowstring.... that is a very generous offer. I am BIG on scent control... Rubber boots, Scentlok,latex gloves and spray myself before going in, then several times when up in the tree.I only hunt when I know I can get in without being busted ( right wind direction) I have avidly bowhunting for 30+ years and know that I might only be able to hunt a place 2 or 3 times before the big guys pick up on my presence.
I think i would like to try hunting funnels between bedding and feeding areas. Is there a good site for topograghical information?. I ordered the Iowa atlas to start looking in more detail. I am pretty much overwhelmed to think I am 1 of 126 NR hunters in that area. Too me, coming from Michigan, it is an honer to be able to hunt one of the best deer management programs around.
I totally respect what you guys have out there and the process it has taken through good wildlife management to get the quality of animals you have. As a guest of your great resource I will tread lightly and hunt ethically. This is a great site with great people and I certainly appreciate all of the helpfulness.

Not sure about the topo maps. Maybe when you decide where you're going to hunt call that county and ask them or someone on here probably knows. You sound like me with the scent spray. I drink that stuff. Not really sure where Colfax is but the offer is there if you want. By small timber I DON'T mean 200 acres it's 15 acres that's why I said a couple days, shot about a 125" out of it last year. Lot of deer run thru it though and got several does that call it home.
Enjoy your hunt it should be great

Id go with microsofts terraserver.com
or google earth for sure to do some long range scouting. Know where you are going to scout long before you get there....will save you lots of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my favorite site for overheads and topos.
http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/
</div></div>

That is my favorite also.

Here is the DNR site for there WMA's
http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/wmamaps/index.html
You can cross reference the two to get the most up to date photo's in relation to the boundaries.

Also check out county conservation areas. Each county will have some, and it is often overlooked.

Hi guys, Thanks for all of the help.After looking around and talking to a few folks. I am leaning pretty heavily to the coralville/ hawkeye area north of Iowa city. Any recommendations for a good place to stay with good food close by? Thanks

I can't really recommend any place to stay, but I can recommend Tipton locker to process your deer. Good prices, fast service and friendly people, can't ask for more. I've been using them for about 6 years

If there is a non res. looking for a good spot to hunt in zone 6 I may have a good option at a reasonable price

Thanks for sharing Musky Hunter. Hopefully I will be fortunate enough to use them. One more piece of the puzzle solved.

I used to work at Hawkeye Wildlife Refuge...there are a lot of nice areas around there, but I'm not sure what it looks like after the heavy floods this year. I wouldn't expect that many of the fields were planted, SO if you/when you find an area around the wildlife unit that has a standing crop you'll be set...or find where they're leaving the wildlife unit to hit the crop grounds of the surrounding land.

Personally, I'd concnetrate my efforts on the WNW side or WSW side...but be prepared to bush-whack b/c it's thick.

GO EARLY, and GO DEEP.

I wish you luck and appreciate your understanding of our State's Regulations.

Iowa City/Coralville have all sorts of hotels and dining places...but since you should have a real Iowa Experience you need to make your way to Solon and have a tenderloin at Joney's. This is a MUST DO! and should be marked down as number two on your list...right after harvesting a nice buck.

Thanks for the response turtL. Yet another piece of the puzzle is coming together. Im checking on hotels in coralville today rumor has it it may be hard to find because of all the floods. You guys really got hammered this year. Hopefully the residents are starting to get their lifes back to normal. Although a terrible disaster, from what I have heard neighbors bonded together to come out and help one another. Yet another testament to the fine class of people living in your state

Top Bottom