Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally got one...

Thanks for the replies. I had read from others in years past that it was considered an invasive species by some and was prone to reseed itself and spread out of control. Sounds like that is not a big concern. I was going to use corn as a screen, but this sounds like a good alternative that would require less maintenance. Would a 10 or 12 foot width be sufficient for visual screen?

We have had an exceptional amount of wind this year and would guess it may stand up longer some years?

It's an annual. I planted for the first time this year. It really needs to be drilled to achieve optimal growth. I also found out that make sure your farmer doesn't come close when spraying because he will wipe it out!

Nice that we can be civil on a less political topic! I feel like we should hug..:)

Thanks for the replies. I had read from others in years past that it was considered an invasive species by some and was prone to reseed itself and spread out of control. Sounds like that is not a big concern. I was going to use corn as a screen, but this sounds like a good alternative that would require less maintenance. Would a 10 or 12 foot width be sufficient for visual screen? We have had an exceptional amount of wind this year and would guess it may stand up longer some years?
Check out dbltrees a thread on it. A lot of good information there. Planting too thick stunts the plants and makes them less wind tolerant. I think 24 inch rows is recommended.

Thanks for the replies. I had read from others in years past that it was considered an invasive species by some and was prone to reseed itself and spread out of control. Sounds like that is not a big concern. I was going to use corn as a screen, but this sounds like a good alternative that would require less maintenance. Would a 10 or 12 foot width be sufficient for visual screen?

We have had an exceptional amount of wind this year and would guess it may stand up longer some years?

A couple of things: 1. I have tried hand seeding it with a bag seeder and I have had it drilled in. Try as I might to get the seeding density right, every time I have hand seeded it I end up with it too heavy. That leads to stunted growth AND thinner stalks, which will go down sooner than good, normal diameter stalks. It is still of benefit to the wildlife, but not so great of a screen in this case. When I have had it drilled in it has been perfect in terms of density and those stands grow taller, stand longer and screen more.

I think 10'-12' would be a sufficient width for a screen...with this caveat. The last two years have been drought city in my area, so the EW is thinner than I am pretty sure it would have been had we received ANY rain on it. EW, milo and sunflowers are in my experience the best drought crop options there are, but I am sure we would all agree that even a drought resistant plant would do better with some rain.

Bottom line...drill baby, drill. :D But you can grow it via broadcasting and light tillage/cultipacking.

2. I would say on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being you can't see through it from 5 feet away, that EW would go about like this month to month. August-September = 10. THICK stuff!! October = 9, November = 7, December = 5, January = 2-3, February = 0-1. Now that is my experience and again we have been battling dry summers for at least the last three years, with the last two being essentially NO rain in the summer. Even with the lack of moisture, the stuff is still 10' tall. SO...might those numbers be better if the plants got even some rain while they were growing? I suspect so, but I can't say from experience either.

3. Think of corn or milo though if you do plant it, as EW thrives on N like the others. Unfertilized EW will grow some, but well fertilized EW will about double the unfertilized.

A couple of things: 1. I have tried hand seeding it with a bag seeder and I have had it drilled in. Try as I might to get the seeding density right, every time I have hand seeded it I end up with it too heavy. That leads to stunted growth AND thinner stalks, which will go down sooner than good, normal diameter stalks. It is still of benefit to the wildlife, but not so great of a screen in this case. When I have had it drilled in it has been perfect in terms of density and those stands grow taller, stand longer and screen more.

I think 10'-12' would be a sufficient width for a screen...with this caveat. The last two years have been drought city in my area, so the EW is thinner than I am pretty sure it would have been had we received ANY rain on it. EW, milo and sunflowers are in my experience the best drought crop options there are, but I am sure we would all agree that even a drought resistant plant would do better with some rain.

Bottom line...drill baby, drill. :D But you can grow it via broadcasting and light tillage/cultipacking.

2. I would say on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being you can't see through it from 5 feet away, that EW would go about like this month to month. August-September = 10. THICK stuff!! October = 9, November = 7, December = 5, January = 2-3, February = 0-1. Now that is my experience and again we have been battling dry summers for at least the last three years, with the last two being essentially NO rain in the summer. Even with the lack of moisture, the stuff is still 10' tall. SO...might those numbers be better if the plants got even some rain while they were growing? I suspect so, but I can't say from experience either.

3. Think of corn or milo though if you do plant it, as EW thrives on N like the others. Unfertilized EW will grow some, but well fertilized EW will about double the unfertilized.

Great info! Thanks so much for putting so much time and thought into your response. Very helpful and much appreciated.

On another note, I too have disked up some areas and allowed them to go to weeds for quail. I have similar experience as you do with it. It works. Unfortunately, the last few extreme winters have been pretty hard on the quail and pheasants. They were just starting to make a pretty good rebound too.

Top Bottom